Casio portable keyboards

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and anxious for some advice.

I am shopping for a portable keyboard and have been exploring the Casio products. Has anyone seen a comparison chart for the different models?

So far I think I might like the CTK-6000 or a WK model. From what I have resd online, the sounds are decent but I have played any of the models yet. (I'm having difficulty findibg a store near me with them on display.

The Y_man

Reaction score
The engine on the CTK and WK are identical. The only difference is the number of keys.

My biggest issue with the current model (not upcomiong new model) is the lack of an EQ control - the whole thing is towards a "bright" (almost tinny/harsh) sound.

Demo from my CTK7000 on
https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/ctk-7000-demo.23543/#post-163055

The 6000 will be very similar sounds (fewer voice selections etc)

The Y-man

Reaction score
Matt

The CTK6000 and WK6500 are identical except for 61 vs 76 keys. The same applies to the CTK7000/WK7500 which, as mentioned by Y-man, come with more voices (tones) and rhythms (styles), sell for about $100 USD more than their equivalent 6000/6500 counterparts and have 64 vs 48 note polyphony, but also have one additional feature that may or may not be very important too you. The 7000/7500 also have, in addition to their linear song sequencer, a looping pattern sequencer for very quickly laying down your own background rhythms, ala DJ looping synths. I have found this invaluable on the WK-7500 and well worth the extra $100 over the WK6500.

At this stage, as Y-man also mentioned, it would be well worth trying to obtain one of the newer units (WK6600/WK7600/etc) with EQ. This was not a major item for me, when I bought the WK7500, as I have an outboard 10 band stereo EQ, but if you can get it built into the keyboard, that is one additional piece of gear that you do not have to fool with - if you felt it was necessary to begin with. Some current owners have not felt the need for EQ, but apparently Casio did, since they included it on the newer units. I am considering, at some point, selling my WK7500 and buying a WK7600 just to get the onboard EQ.

Reaction score
Thanks Y-man and Ted.

I'm trying to choose a portable keyboard from Casio but I am getting lost in all the different features on the different models. I was hoping to find a quick comparison chart. Anybody know of one?

Also, I need to find a local store that has these on display. I want to feel the keyboard and listen to the sounds before I can make my purchase. I'm located in Connecticut.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Unlike the Yamaha site, I don't think the Casio site has a "compare" feature.

I usually make up a spreadsheet to compare features across brands anyway....

Basically the differences I look for:
  • Number of keys
  • Number of preset voices
  • Number of backing patterns
  • Polyphony
  • PItch bend yes/no
  • Vel Sensitive yes/no
  • Weight
Other may find features like these important:
  • Sampler: yes/no
  • Sequencer: yes/no
  • Drawbars yes/no
etc

According to their website:

Greenwich Music 1200 East Putnam Ave
Riverside, CT 06878 [P]: 203-869-3615
[F]: 203-618-9719

The Audio Clinic LLC 9 Azalea Lane
Uncasville, CT 06382 [P]: 860-848-3873

The Y-man

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, looking for a keyboard. Tons of research on the web is one thing, but actually visiting and messing with a real unit is quite another. The spreadsheet idea is great. Here are some of the things I would compare:

On board amp wattage. Below $300 units typically have just 2 or 3 watts/channel; $300 to $500 units may have 5 or 6 watts per; digital pianos in the $600 to $1,500 range will have 20 to 30 per.
On board speakers - does it have separate tweeters?

Inputs/outputs: Does it have line in/out - stereo or mono?; usb connection for computer interface; midi; mike in; instrument in, etc. Which of these are important to you?

Number of keys: Many Casios provide a choice of 61 or 76 for $100 more, all other features being equal. Do you need 88? How portable do you want it to be? Don't forget, many units have octave shift which may reduce the need for maximum keyboard size.

Are the keys weighted or not. Weighted keys typically start with $600 plus units. Some people have said the WK7500 keys feel "semi-weighted" meaning they provide a bit more resistance than lesser models, but definitely not the feel of digital piano weighted keys.

How many voices does it have? Are they user modifiable?

How many rhythm patters? Are they modifiable

How many styles? Can you create and save your own?

Does it record? Can it record acoustic instruments as well as electric?

Does it provide training/learning aids? The great majority have metronomes and all provide for changes in pitch and tempo. Generally the least expensive ones, below $250 or so, provide the most learning aids. I guess when they begin to exceed the $300 or $400 level, they assume people can already play and they back off of providing learning tools. I think that is a mistake, at least for me.

What instrument sounds do you like best? Read reviews to see how instruments compare on those sounds. I like organ sounds, so the wk7500 and its baby brother, the 7000 excel in this. Some do a mediocre job with particular instruments. For example, I play clarinet and I think the less than $600 Casios are weak on this instrument.

As for places to test run keyboards, I was at first thinking I have to go find a big piano-organ store. There are none around where I live. I have to travel 15 or 25 miles to a larger town to find one. Definitely call first to find out what they carry. Also check Music and Arts type music stores. Music and Arts is part of the Musicians Friend/Woodwind Brasswind conglomerate. Their prices are the same as internet plus local sales tax. Local band instrument dealers often carry a variety of keyboards.

But even many small towns have guitar stores. And where you find guitars you'll find electric keyboards. I discovered such a shop just a few miles from my home. They have a great selection of Casios and their prices are competitive. That is where I will buy mine.

Good luck with your hunt. And if you are anything like me, a great deal of the fun is in the hunt. Drag out that process over weeks if you can stand the anticipation. You will most likely change your "features" preferences several times as you learn of the strengths and weakness of features sets in different models and different price points.

I started out before I did much research thinking I wanted an digital piano in the $800 to $1,500 price range. After looking at the features and going to a few stores, I learned that I don't need to spend more than $500 to get the combination of features that interest me the most at this point in my understanding. That is key: "This point in my understanding." My understanding may change next week. That's why I'm still researching. I decided I like a wide variety of tones, instruments and other features more than the refined, piano-like feel of a digital piano. Your top 3 or 4 priorities may be entirely different.

Connecticut is dense with urban places. I would be surprised if you didn't have 3 or 4 dealers within 10-15 miles of where you live.

Have fun in the hunt.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I am enjoying the hunt. At the moment, I'm down to the CTK-7000 or WK7600 (for the EQ). The octave shift kind of negates the need for the extra keys but having an EQ is a good idea. Still looking though. ..

I'm also looking for some recommendations for some learning software I can run on my Windows PC with my soon to be purchased keyboard connected. I'm looking for a learning tool that plays more like a video game. Any thoughts?

I did try out the learning tools on the keyboards themselves but quickly decided I'd prefer to learn from something running on a larger computer screen.

Reaction score
Blues...

I agree with you about the "learning" features in some of the lower end keyboards. While I've only been seriously looking and learning about keyboards for a week or so, I've already transitioned a couple of times from what I initially thought I wanted. I thought one of my priority features needed to be teaching aids. I've since learned that they are not as effective as portrayed by the ads. They may be good for kids learning, and I know I would probably be entertained for awhile ****kid-at-heart-alert****. But unfortunately (from my perspective), most teaching aids are available only on lower end (less than $200) boards that don't have the quality and features that satisfy other expectations of future keyboard owners. I would rather have more tone flexibility and better sound than the "teaching" keyboards offer.

My current purchase dilemma is whether to get one of the current models, (the 61 key CTK-7000 or the 76 key WK-7500), OR one of the NEWER versions of these, the 7200 or 7600. Since the current models have been out for a couple of years, they are discounted $250 off list in the US, e.g. the 7000 street price is around $349 and retail is $599. If keyboards are like cameras, when new models come out they will sell for near full retail for the first few months. So if the features or "improvements" of the new models aren't important to us, we are better saving a few bucks and going with the current rather than the newer models. This leads me to the question: When will these two new Casio models become available in the US? They are already advertised and available in Australia and Europe, at least what I can glean from a Google search. And is my assumption about the way new models of keyboards priced accurate? Or are they introduced with some sort of discount? What I've read about the new models is causing me to want to find out more about them.
I will also be researching computer/tablet keyboard learning tools that can be integrated with a keyboard.

Here is a site that compares the features of the 2 current and 2 new Casio draw bar keyboards: http://www.soundtechnology.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=compare&limit=999999
Note that 95% of all features and specs are identical. The only new features are the 5 band equalizer, a few more sounds and rhythms, and, I heard, smoother real time "chopless" draw bar action. It appears the new models are slightly discounted in Australia, but the current models are the rough equivalent to about $100 cheaper. I can't find any US availability or pricing information yet.

The journey is the destination.

Reaction score
http://piano-lesson-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ I just came across this website that summarizes what they consider the Top 10 keyboard/piano learning software.

Here is another: http://www.synthesiagame.com/

And another, a demo of Home Concert Extreme (HCX):

This brings up a question about keyboard interfacing. HCX is said to require midi in/out. Knowing that the Casio boards we are interested in don't have specific midi jacks, only the USB port, does the USB port provide the same input/output functionality that dedicated midi ports would provide for use with this type of application?

Reaction score
Mozartian,

HCX looks really good. Thanks for posting the video. I haven't checked for a price yet. As for the USB port on the Casio connecting to HCX, I'm not sure if it will work or not. I'm thinking it will work though. When I find out, I'll post.

I did finally buy a keyboard. I decided on the Casio WK-6500. After playing the 6500 and the 7000, I decided I preferred having the extra keys on the 6500 (76 keys vs. 61 keys on the CTK-7000). I think the creative possibilities of the WK-6500 will keep me busy for a very long time to come. I could have gone for the WK-7500 (the 7600 doesn't seem to be available in the US yet) but would have cost me an extra $150 (the WK-6500 cost $300) and I felt that was too much to spend given my current expertise at playing keys.

Reaction score
...and I felt that was too much to spend given my current expertise at playing keys.
That goes for me in spades. I got the 7500 anyway. I'm a sucker for the various draw bar organ sounds. I love hangin' around the house in my retirement - so this will be really nice.

HCX is $99.

And I'm about ready to settle on a mic for recording our clarinet group. Of the 5 I've tried so far, I've picked a favorite based mainly on convenience. Since I like the sound of the space and presence created by a stereo pair, even if played back in mono, I'm about to make my decision in favor of the MXL 990 Stereo mic - it sounds as good as the others I tried and the two diaphragms being in one mic simplifies transport and setup. Recording will be done on a Tascam DR40 and played back on a Mackie 12" Thump. At home it will be played back on Grado phones or the little Klipsch 2.1 Pro Logic.

Ask a Question