casio privia px-3, adding another keyboard

Reaction score
Hello, I have a casio privia px-3 and was wondering if you can add a second keyboard and get different sounds to play on each keyboard. I want to have a side keyboard play an organ and the privia play a keyboard.

Reaction score
to clarify some more. I want the second keyboard to use the sounds of the privia. So to get an organ sound from the privia and get a piano sound from the privia using two pianos to control the privia sounds. I don't know if you can do that. Kinda like splitting the privia in to zones, but using two keyboards to make different sounds using the privia's instruments.

Reaction score
Can you borrow another keyboard with a midi out? You need to try a midi cable from the OUT on the borrowed one to the IN on the privia.

Turn the volume down on the borrowed one. Play it and you should get a sound coming from the Privia.

Post back when you've tried this.

The way it will work - there are 16 midi channels. You can have the Privia keyboard talking to the Privia "brain" on midi channel 1. At the same time you can have a second keyboard talking to the Privia brain on a different midi channel. You tell the Privia brain to have a different sound on each of the two midi channels.

Reaction score
I do have a midi out on the second keyboard. but am unsure how to get two different sounds. I went and changed the midi channel on both the m-audio 88es and on the privia. It does not make two different sounds at this time. But I know that this may be my error, not understanding the privia. I don't have a midi in on the m-audio controller. Does this need to be plugged in too. I do have another radio shack keyboard (old and cheap) I can try. The privia and the m-audio are speaking with each other though. I can play the midi controler and hear the notes on the privia play, but I am having trouble getting different sounds on the privia controlled by the m-audio at the same time. Like an organ on the m-audio and a piano on the privia. I think that there are zone selectors that you can put different midi channels. But I am unsure how to do this at this time. I am reading the manual now again. Please reply with any feedback. Thank you in advance so much.

Reaction score
I don't think you can do what you are trying to, and I don't think you would want to. The maudios are strictly controllers and make no sound of their own. That's why they don't have a midi in. Now the Casio is capable of either controlling or being controlled but it's basically a stage piano. You would be far better off to get a synth to be your organ sound. Korg has a ligthtweight cheap model called X50 that would be excellent for what you are looking for. It has good organs and most other sounds except piano and you have your casio for those sounds. Also, you will find that weighted keys are great for piano and really suck for organ sounds.

Gerry

Ask a Question