Casio PX-130 problem

Reaction score
I recently bought a Casio PX-130 that has a strange problem. Every 8th key does not give a sound/signal. So, starting at the lowest A eight keys higher the E does not work, then eight keys higher the C, then the G# and so on...

I took the whole piano apart and cleaned everything carefully, including the sensors. I also tried multiple factory resets. There are no mechanical issues and everything else works just fine.

Maybe someone has experience with a similar problem or maybe someone can give me advise on how to repair it.
The previous owner said it’s a software problem. But I am starting to think it’s rather a hardware part that needs replacement instead of a software issue. I just don’t know.

Any help is highly appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Did you disconnect, clean and reseat all the ribbon connectors leading to the keyboard?

If so, and the problem persists, then the problem may be a cold solder joint or a cracked solder joint on one of the boards that needs reheating.

Failing that, it's time to use a logic probe to track down the individual signals to a faulty chip.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Take it back to the previous owner and get your hard earned cash back.

They must have known there was a fault with the keyboard to respond the way they have.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath about getting your money back.

This is classic caveat emptor and the OP was told about the defect when he bought it.

It may not seem fair, but the buyer has to do his homework when buying used and the fact that he's already opened it up and messed with the guts won't help.

If he'd bought from and ebay store he might have a shot at a refund.

If he bought from craigslist or something similar the seller probably won't give a refund.

Simplest option may be to find a keyboard tech and let him fix it for $150 or so.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I took it that the Op bought the Casio and only then found the problem.

Either way the seller must have known it was faulty and they may well have given the impression that it was just a case of a software update.

Hence the seller could have easily updated the software themselves and as they did not the probabilities were that they tried and could not solve the problem.

Now the Op has potentially a large repair cost on a keyboard that can easily be 10 years old if the review I found of one on Youtube dated 2009 is correct.

A misleading sale and caveat emptor does not apply.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OHMYGOSH!@!!!!

You mean? You mean? People never LIE when they're selling defective gear? :eek:

This is why I always tell people to check every key, button, knob, slider and jack when they are buying used and that applies doubly to craigslist.

The seller may honestly not have known the difference or else he was a lying scumbag who misled the buyer when he sold it.

Either way he should have done his research and walked away from the deal the second he knew there was a problem.

He just learned a very expensive lesson about buying used gear.

Unless he has the electronics knowhow to do a signal trace on electronic gear he gets stuck with the bill.

Believe me. Caveat emptor ALWAYS applies when buying used gear.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hope the Op can get it sorted cheaply.

If worst comes to worst they can always dissemble it and make a garden mobile out of it.

It makes little sense throwing a couple of hundred bucks at an old digital piano when a new one can be bought for not much more.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For all we know maybe he picked it up for a hundred bucks as a fixer upper.

Scammers are out there. if it sounds too good to be true... :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question