Casio PX-160 weighted keys

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a silly question, but it is noticeable for me. The weighted keys feel difficult to press, like they resist my pressing to much. It makes it difficult to accurately control the loudness of my sound, is this a common issue? I doubt it is, but would there be a way to change how 'heavy' the keys are? Any responses would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There should be an adjustment in your manual for the Velocity Curve.

Playing with that setting adjusts the force necessary to depress a note.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The velocity curve setting will not adjust the force necessary to depress a key, it will not change how heavy the keys feel, however it will change how hard you have to hit a key in order to get a given velocity (volume) out of it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What's the difference between "how hard you hit a key" and "the force to depress a note?"

If you really want to be a physics nerd about it then you could say it affects the velocity with which you strike a key which, by extrapolation, force equals mass times acceleration which mathematically translates to mass which remains constant times delta V over delta T.

But essentially, if you want a "lighter touch", then yes, adjusting the velocity curve works..

Gary ;)

Reaction score
What's the difference between "how hard you hit a key" and "the force to depress a note?"
A note is a musical tone (or a visual representation of that musical tone on a staff). A key is a mechanism you can use to generate a note (musical tone). So I'd say you don't depress notes, you depress keys. So I'll rephrase the question to:
What's the difference between "how hard you hit a key" and "the force to depress a key?"
That's not quite the distinction I was making. What I'm saying is, if an action physically feels heavy to you, there is no software setting that will physically make it feel lighter. The velocity curve setting can mean it will take less force to achieve a certain volume, but the keys will still feel exactly the same. Saying "you won't have to hit them as hard" is not the same as saying "they will feel lighter."

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The reaction of most keybeds I've used has been to definitely lighten the "feel" of achieving a note when striking a key.

By requiring less velocity to achieve the same key volume it DOES in fact decrease the FORCE (mathematically speaking) of striking the key.

The end effect, regardless, is a lighter touch for the player making it easier for beginners to play correctly voiced notes without awkwardly fumbling for forte notes with weaker digits like the left pinky.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question