Casio :Recording notes sent over the midi channel

Reaction score
Hi,
When I send some notes from my tab/PC to the keyboard over the USB MIDI ,I can hear the notes being played,highlighted in the LCD screen of the keyboard.The problem is,if I use the record feature of the keyboard,it ignores the notes sent over the USB midi channel from the PC/tab ..only the notes manually entered through the hard keys are getting recorded....is there something I can do to make it record the notes sent from the PC.....I use Casio CTK 5000.
I tried Local Off MIDI setting in keyboard,it did not work.
The keyboard is set to channel 1 and I am sending the MIDI notes from tab using the same channel.

Regards,
Biswajit

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Short answer. Can't be done. The Casio sequencers don't record external MIDI from other sources. Do it the other way around. Record MIDI from the CTK to sequencer software on your computer.

THAT will work.

Gary

Reaction score
Yes,I have recorded notes sent from CTK to the PC over USB MIDI..but was interested in the other way....as I like the sounds of the keyboard more than those of the soundfonts on the PC.
Sad to know that its not possible.
Many thanks for the prompt response.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's no reason why you can't play back the finished MIDI sequence on the Casio. Hell, even while recording on a PC you can select any MIDI output device you have hooked up.

Gary

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only way to record the sounds produced by the keyboard is to record its audio output. Although you can't use the onboard sequencer to record external MIDI data sent to the keyboard, you can record the keyboard's audio as it's playing the external MIDI.

Reaction score
I have a midi drum application in my tablet....I am comfortable in creating the beat tapping on the screen than on the keys of the keyboard...its more natural ..and there is no delay...as of now,I have to output the audio out of the keyboard to PC,one part at a time..say the bass drum,then the clap,etc..and then sync them using Audacity...had I been able to record the midi drum notes from the USB,I would have planned to sequence the different drum tracks on the keyboard itself..but alas.

By the way,whats the best way,in your opinion, to create the drum track using the keyboard?
For me,usually I have a beat at the tip of my fingers....but its difficult to translate by pressing the keyboard keys...tapping on a flat screen,like the touch screen of my tablet, is easier.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm a lousy fingertip drummer. When I don't use a prerecorded canned beat I will lay out my beats in notation in my DAW instead.

Gary

Ask a Question