Casio WK series

Reaction score
Want to download MIDI files, and or WAVE files onto my keyboard(s). Having difficulty. Anybody help?

Reaction score
Hi Dennis, welcome to this forum but I need a bit more detail please. What keyboard are you using and what are the difficulties you have. Can't you get the midi's loaded from a stick or card into the internal memory?

Reaction score
Thanks for replying so promptly, Rick. Been trying to down/upload MIDI files from my PC to my Casio's for years now with no success.
Want to use either WK 3300, 3500 or 3700.
Can you help, please.

Dennis j Cray
Key of Sea

Reaction score
Dennis,
I know only the WK 7500 but believe that this procedure is more or less the same for other models. Direct down or upload doesn't work as far as I know. You have to copy on a PC the midi's onto an SD card into a folder called MUSICDAT. Only a folder with this name is recognized by the keyboard. That SD-card into the slot of the keyboard, Activate the card, select your midi and press PLAY (start/stop button.)

Direct playing midi's from a PC is also possible if you connect the USB-B on the keyboard to a free USB-A connector (with a simple usb-printercable) on the PC. This works MUCH faster if you have to go trough a lot of mdi's.
You need a midiplayer on your computer (many free on Internet) and tell this player that you are using an USB device in the setup.
Now you click on a midi and the sound will play trough the connected keyboard using its soundprocessor what is by far much better than the average computer soundcard.
Problem can be 'latency' with the communication but if you switch off all the programs you dont need at that moment it will be fine.

Hopefully another member of the forum with more knowledge about the mentioned models will correct me if I am wrong.

DickR

The Y_man

Reaction score
The WK-3500 predates USB connectors and SD cards.
In fact, they use a SmartMedia card (no longer manufactured) and the good old 3.5" FDD.

Having said that, wither of these media should wokr for transferring SMF.

What is the actual issue you are having Dennis? We need more info.

The Y-man

Reaction score
The WK-3500 predates USB connectors and SD cards.
In fact, they use a SmartMedia card (no longer manufactured) and the good old 3.5" FDD.

Having said that, wither of these media should wokr for transferring SMF.

What is the actual issue you are having Dennis? We need more info.

Hey Y Man!

I understand; however, I have two WK 3300's (SD card, no floppy), a WK 3500, and a WK 3700. Also, I have a case of blank floppys and would like to start by learning how to use them. Then later, use the SM and SD cards.

Can you assist me on how to transfer my .mid files or .seq files onto a floppy that will play on either the 3500 or 3700?

Thanks,

Dennis

Reaction score
Dennis,
I know only the WK 7500 but believe that this procedure is more or less the same for other models. Direct down or upload doesn't work as far as I know. You have to copy on a PC the midi's onto an SD card into a folder called MUSICDAT. Only a folder with this name is recognized by the keyboard. That SD-card into the slot of the keyboard, Activate the card, select your midi and press PLAY (start/stop button.)

Direct playing midi's from a PC is also possible if you connect the USB-B on the keyboard to a free USB-A connector (with a simple usb-printercable) on the PC. This works MUCH faster if you have to go trough a lot of mdi's.
You need a midiplayer on your computer (many free on Internet) and tell this player that you are using an USB device in the setup.
Now you click on a midi and the sound will play trough the connected keyboard using its soundprocessor what is by far much better than the average computer soundcard.
Problem can be 'latency' with the communication but if you switch off all the programs you dont need at that moment it will be fine.

Hopefully another member of the forum with more knowledge about the mentioned models will correct me if I am wrong.

DickR

Hey Rick,

Just posted a reply to Y Man, If you can please read and respond.

Thanks,

Dennis
Key of Sea

Reaction score
I use another Casio CTK 561 for my MIDI player; however, I'm trying to limit the amount of gear I have to haul around.

Thanks all,

Dennis j Cray
Key of Sea

Reaction score
If you have a WK3500, I thought you would just copy the MIDI file to the SD and follow the instruction on page E-77 of the manual.

The Y-man
P E-77 in my manual is "How to Tranpose the Keyboard".

I really want to learn how to use the floppy.

The Y_man

Reaction score
P E-77 in my manual is "How to Tranpose the Keyboard".

I really want to learn how to use the floppy.

Sounds Like you have a diffrent manual. I just went to the Caiso site and downloaded it just then.....in any case look up "Using the SMF Player" in the table of contents.

Or you can go and download like I just did
http://support.casio.com/manuallist.php?rgn=5&cid=008

Forget the floppy -
1. most laptops and computers don't come with a floppy drive any more
2. You'll need 10 floppies (or more) to fit the same amount of data onto a SD card.
3. Floppies wear out/easily damaged
4. If you REALLY want to use floppy, the process is the same as using SD below.

Basically this is what it says on the manula I just download from casio site:
Copy midi fil from PC onto SD card
On the casio:
Press the SMF player button
Use the right/left arrow cursor key to select the SD
Pres down arrow until the smf appear
use the number buttons to key in the 3 digit code of the file in the "number area"
Press start button to start playback.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Sounds Like you have a diffrent manual. I just went to the Caiso site and downloaded it just then.....in any case look up "Using the SMF Player" in the table of contents.

Or you can go and download like I just did
http://support.casio.com/manuallist.php?rgn=5&cid=008

Forget the floppy -
1. most laptops and computers don't come with a floppy drive any more
2. You'll need 10 floppies (or more) to fit the same amount of data onto a SD card.
3. Floppies wear out/easily damaged
4. If you REALLY want to use floppy, the process is the same as using SD below.

Basically this is what it says on the manula I just download from casio site:
Copy midi fil from PC onto SD card
On the casio:
Press the SMF player button
Use the right/left arrow cursor key to select the SD
Pres down arrow until the smf appear
use the number buttons to key in the 3 digit code of the file in the "number area"
Press start button to start playback.

The Y-man

Thanks for all you help. I finally got all three types of external memory to download AND play on the WK 3300, 3500 & 3700 using floppy, SM and
SD. Actually, I prefer the floppy. I have large hands and the SD card slips thru my fingers. All I want is 10 to 12 MIDI files per disc., so there's not a problem there.

Thanks again,

Dennis j Cray
Key of Sea

Reaction score
Thanks for all you help. I finally got all three types of external memory to download AND play on the WK 3300, 3500 & 3700 using floppy, SM and
SD. Actually, I prefer the floppy. I have large hands and the SD card slips thru my fingers. All I want is 10 to 12 MIDI files per disc., so there's not a problem there.

Thanks again,

Dennis j Cray
Key of Sea
Hey guys,

Decided to just go with my laptop vs. floppys or memory cards.

Now I'm looking at a Roland KP-5; anyone have any experience hooking this up to the CASIO WK-3700?

Reaction score
Hi everybody this is a bit urgent. For years Ive used a WK 3300.I recently dedided to sell that one and go for the Wk7600.
Even though Im happy with the grand pianos,rhodes and feel of the keys on the WK7600 I miss a lot of sounds from the 3300 that were basic for my repertoire.I also miss drum rythms.I find the ones in thewk 3300 more realistic,
Is there a way for me to find/download those sounds and rythms(I sold my WK 3300 to a guy from annother city) and more important is there a way for me to load those wk3300 sounds into my wk7600?
Please reply asap.If Im not able to load those sounds I probably send it back to the store,and I got only a week notice to get my money back.
Thanks in advance

The Y_man

Reaction score
Not the "tones" (instrument sounds).

Rhythms you could do from a midi file (possibly), but I doubt you would be able to do a 1:1 replicaiton..

The Y-man

Ask a Question