Casio XWG1: how to reverse pedal polarity?

Reaction score
Hi, have been trying a simple, on-off sustain pedal on my XWG1. But can't find how to reverse the polarity. There's no switch on the pedal itself.

The sustain works but only in reverse: the notes are sustained when the piano keys are released (as opposed to when the keys are pressed).

Thanks if you can help on this.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all what make of pedal? If it's a Roland or a Yamaha, there is no polarity switch and it's not usable on a Casio because there is also no polarity switching on a Casio.

Casios use a Normally Open Switch Pedal like Kurzweils and Korgs. Your best bet is to pick up a universal Sustain Switch Pedal like an M-Audio SP-2. These have a built in polarity switch that you can use with any keyboard. Personally I own 4 of them. They are dirt cheap when you find them on sale between $12 and $20 and they are heavy and solid and built like a brick outhouse. I highly recommend you pick one up.

Amazon UK currently has them for 19 GBP but if you search a few of your local sites you should find a cheaper one on sale right now after xmas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-SP-2-Piano-Sustain-Pedal/dp/B00063678K

EDIT >>> If that price includes free shipping and VAT inc. it's actually a pretty good price.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First of all what make of pedal? If it's a Roland or a Yamaha, there is no polarity switch and it's not usable on a Casio because there is also no polarity switching on a Casio.

Casios use a Normally Open Switch Pedal like Kurzweils and Korgs. Your best bet is to pick up a universal Sustain Switch Pedal like an M-Audio SP-2. These have a built in polarity switch that you can use with any keyboard. Personally I own 4 of them. They are dirt cheap when you find them on sale between $12 and $20 and they are heavy and solid and built like a brick outhouse. I highly recommend you pick one up.

Amazon UK currently has them for 19 GBP but if you search a few of your local sites you should find a cheaper one on sale right now after xmas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-SP-2-Piano-Sustain-Pedal/dp/B00063678K

EDIT >>> If that price includes free shipping and VAT inc. it's actually a pretty good price.

Thanks, happyrat1, for your quick response. It's a Cherub pedal. Just disconnected the pedal and was wrapping it up as useless and (blush), discovered the polarity switch. Flicked the switch and works as normal.

Cheers again for getting back.

Reaction score
Thanks, happyrat1, for your quick response. It's a Cherub pedal. Just disconnected the pedal and was wrapping it up as useless and (blush), discovered the polarity switch. Flicked the switch and works as normal.

Cheers again for getting back.

By the way, if any of you use a 2 keyboard setup like I do, I have a trick you may be interested in.
I have a Yamaha NP-V80 and a Casio WK-7500.
The Yamaha uses a normally closed pedal and the Casio uses a normally open pedal. I have a M-Audio SP2 pedal which has the polarity switch on it. If a pedal has a polarity switch, then that means that you can use the same pedal for both keyboards. Take the pedal apart and look for the switch. It will be what they can a leaf switch and there will be 3 terminals on the switch. One of these terminals is the common connection, usually in the center location. Then there will be a terminal that is normally closed and the other terminal is normally open. Using a cheap ohm meter will tell you which terminals are which. I connected the exiting cable up to the normally open part of the switch and the common. Then used a second cable connected to the normally closed part of the switch and the same common terminal. Run one cable to the Yamaha and the other to the Casio and you can sustain both keyboards at the same time with the same pedal. If you get solid sustain from one keyboard, switch the cables, as you will probably have solid sustain from the other keyboard if this is the case.
I know that some Yamaha's have a way in the menu's to change the pedal switch polarity, so you would think that a "y" cable would make it possible to use one pedal for both keyboards. But I found that if I tried changing it this way, it would not work. It would get some kind of feedback from the other keyboard. It needs a completely independent switch to make it happy.
Now both keyboards work with one pedal and the keyboards and myself are both happy.
Maybe this will help someone.

Ask a Question