Casiotone Ct-640 Tone Bank Malfunction

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here. I recieved the piano as a christmas gift and was able to use it once or twice as the tone bank select buttons don't work. The rest of the piano works fine, no issues with the looping/recording feature or the first layer of sounds themselves. I'm just totally unable to figure out why I cant access the second half of the tones. The only two times that the selection button has worked, it was totally random and I'm not sure of what I did in order to make it function but it didnt matter because upon switching to the upper half of the sound bank, I couldnt switch back. I'm frustrated beyond belief and cannot find any videos online besides folks doing slow pans over the keyboard while the demo music plays 5 times in a row. HELP PLS.

Reaction score
It sounds as though the electrical contacts on the switch (button) that changes tone banks have become oxidized. This is usually the result of sitting idle for long periods, particularly in humid and/or polluted environments. Since the CT-640 was released in 1988, it would fit into this category, at least time-wise. Of course, the correct solution is to completely disassemble the entire unit and clean the contacts directly with cotton swabs and contact cleaner, but most of us lack the tools and expertise to do it ourselves and the finances to pay an expert to do it for us. However, all is not lost. It is sometimes possible to restore some or all of a switch's reliability, particularly if it still at the intermittent rather than the totally non-functioning stage, by giving it exactly what it has been lacking: USE. I have a couple of pieces of old Roland gear that I was able to revive by just pressing intermittent switch buttons over and over and over, like 100 or 200 or 300 times. This must be done with the device turned ON, as it is the electrical current flowing through the switch contacts that actually removes the oxidation. At no time use excessive force or "bang" on the button as this will only further damage the contacts. Here again, there are no guarantees with this, but at this stage you have nothing to lose but a little time. Good luck!

Reaction score
Gee whizz! Thank you so much. Oxidization -- I was honestly thinking that was the issue anyway but the only thing that dissuaded me was the fact that all the other buttons work. What I assume now is that because the select button was/is the most frequently used button on this piano, it probably wore out much faster than any of the other functioning button pads. Guess all it really needs is just some luv and TLC. I am ashamed to admit I did lightly hit it out of frustration and that didnt do any good whatsoever, so as anything goes, love is the answer. Thanks for your help!!

Ask a Question