CGP 700

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Yamaha DGX 640. I am considering trading it in for a Casio GCP 700. Can any one give me a comparison between the two Keyboards. Also, anybody have experience with the GCP 700?

Thank you

Tony

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Casio CGP-700 looks and sounds great in the videos I've seen. I haven't seen or heard it in person yet, but I'd love to try it out. I haven't done a feature comparison between it and the Yamaha DGX-640/650 yet, but the CGP-700 has twice the polyphony (128 notes) as the DGX-640 (64 notes), or the same as the DGX-650 (128 notes).

One difference is that the CGP-700 doesn't respond to MIDI Attack Time, Release Time, Cutoff Frequency, and Filter Resonance CC (Control Change) messages, whereas the DGX-640/650 does. However, that might not matter to you, since the DGX-640/650 doesn't have any panel controls or functions for modifying the attack/release and cutoff/resonance settings of its voices, hence the only way you can benefit from those abilities is to change the settings by external means (e.g., from a DAW)-- although the CC messages can also be used in styles and song files.

On the other hand, the CGP-700 has a full-color LCD touch screen! :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I purchased the GCP 700 a few days ago. So far it is better than expected. Great sound, great features and the touch screen is much less complicated to use than the function buttons on the DGX 640. One draw back is that you can't add additional rhythms. However, by connecting a computer to the keyboard with an audio cable you can use a play-along CD.

Tony

Ask a Question