Change or switch midi channel on MPK mini from the device

Reaction score
Hi,

I got this MPK Mini device and everybody is posting great videos of loops, drums.. synth.. melodies.. all together, great.
The problem is nobody tells you how to move from drums (for example) to the next channel (sound).
Obviously I can switch to another channel with the mouse or keyboard of the computer but to play live that would be non sense.

So people.. if you know and you feel like sharing please.... I'm trying to find a solution to this simple thing.. I feel like the "Launchkey 25" can do that easily with ableton but I got this MPK mini.. is it possible? do you know how?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have the MPK Mini and haven't glanced through its documentation yet, but I would imagine that the main approach would be to set up some of its pads or buttons so they each select different tracks in the DAW, then the various tracks in the DAW would be set up to play different virtual instruments or patches as desired. Which DAW are you using with the MPK Mini?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm having a very quick glance at the Quick Start guide, and there's a PROGRAM button that you can hold down to switch to a different controller setup program-- not the same thing as a MIDI Program Change-- by pressing one of the four highest keys labeled Prog 1, Prog 2, Prog 3, and Prog 4. You might need to use the controller setup app to set up each of the four programs as desired; on my M-Audio controller I can set up each of its zones to transmit on different MIDI channels as desired, and set up different programs so I can switch between different configurations as desired. I don't know if the MPK Mini has more than one zone, but even if it's a single-zone controller it must let you configure it to specify which MIDI channel you want it to transmit on, and hopefully you can set up and save four different configurations or programs for quickly switching between different MIDI channels.

Reaction score
Thank you for replying!

Yes, what you're saying with the pads I already figured that out and I'm able to play separately with the pads and keys (different sound / channel).

but this isn't the case because it's just switching between 2 sounds, the idea is to play live while looping, so you want to add drums.. then synth.. then add another melody.. then another one.. so obviously you don't want to be restricted to 2 channels. right?

"Launchkey 25" gives you the ability to go to the next channel from the device, I'm looking for this solution.

When I got this MPK mini device I didn't know that much about it and I saw videos and it seems like some are doing it.. but now I'm not sure about it, I thought maybe someone knows the answer here.

Reaction score
and btw the 4 programs that you mentioned with the pads..
let's say I'm able to set different sound on each.. it's not good enough because it's only 8 notes, right?
so it's not really making sense here, I need the keys not the pads.

Reaction score
It's just shocking and frustrating how nobody knows how to do it.
I'm getting rid of this device and getting the Launchkey instead.

Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Just came here with the same question, found out that solution is really simple.
Get the Akai MPK Mini Editor - mk3 (if you have the MPK Software editor check Settings->Show Advanced Software), it will be listed under Apps. Install and open.
If you want to keep the installed programs you can open them 1 by 1 and save them in Files.
Now simply change the KEYBED/CONTROLS MIDI CHANNEL to e.g. 2,
give the program a name on top and click on S(end) under, lets say, PROGRAMS 2.
On the MPKmini hold PROG SELECT, hit PAD 2 and the MPK will load your program and send on channel 2.
You can do this for all the programs, just S(end) with different channels.
Tested with Reaper, works as intended.

Reaction score
Hi,
do you know if changing channels on the midi keyboard is possible with some generic method (eg. by using some universal MIDI protocol method), without dedicated software provided by the vendor? The AKAI MPK Editor keeps crashing on my system (Apple MacBook, Big Sur OS version) and I'm stuck with both drum pads and keys running on channel 1.

Reaction score
To do this on the actual device as per the original question.

Press Shift and Stop. You can then use the encoder knob next to the LED panel to edit global settings including MIDI channel for the keyboard and drum pads. Press Prog Select to conclude editing.

This is for MPK MiniPlus

Ask a Question