Changing sustain pedal - brand issues?

Reaction score
Recently I bought a beautiful Nord Stage EX 76 (see my little review in another topic).
Everything's great with it.
Although I've been having a small problem with the sustain pedal that comes as part of the package (it's the Clavier pedal included with the keyboard)
I suspect a loose connection in the pedal's wiring: the sustain is activated when I push down on the pedal, but it seems to be a little unreliable. It seems that if I just nudge the cable slightly, the sustain ceases. This isn't a major problem when using it at home, but on stage and in live situations, I'm concerned that the vibrations from the high volumes might trigger the dodgey connection and cut out the sustain, which obviously you don't want to be happening on stage, and of course it'd be preferable to avoid the problem with home use.
I've arranged to take the pedal back and swap it for another pedal, but I'm not guaranteed they'll have any other Clavier branded pedals in stock as this one comes with the keyboard, so might have to choose from a different manufacturer.
What I'm wanting to know is, is it "done" or seen as ok to be using a sustain pedal that is a different brand to the piano?
I'm just wanting to know if it's "unproffessional" to mix brands in this way, particularly as the Stage comes with a pedal from the same brand.
I'm just concerned it'd look weird using Nord keyboards with, for example, a Yamaha or Roland sustain pedal.

So just wondering what opinions are. Do I have to use a Clavier pedal with a Clavier (Nord) keyboard? Or is it acceptable to use a different brand of pedal so that I'm not going to have to wait weeks for a replacement?

Reaction score
I use a Yamaha pedal. Virtually any pedal should work, although some pedals use a different polarity. You can either set that explicitly in the Nord's System menu or the Nord will auto-detect the pedal polarity when you turn the keyboard on, I can't remember which.

Reaction score
As for looking unprofessional, I don't think people will look at the sustain and a) know what brand of pedal it is or b) care.

Ask a Question