Cheap beginner keyboard (~60 dollars)

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to buy a cheap keyboard (preferably used, so I can get it even cheaper) for a beginner. There's just too many of the cheap ones on eBay and I don't want to end up with a complete garbage which would discourage me from learning. I also don't want to spend too much, in case I don't like playing the keyboard that much.

Lately, I've bought a used Yamaha PortaSound PSS-31 for a bargain on a car boot which got me hooked on playing. But sadly four octaves is getting pretty annoying and I feel limited. I guess it would be nice to have 88 keys, so I would be able to play a large variety of songs, a few different (doesn't have to be a 100) tones, so I can learn both classical & modern hits and some kind of usb connection would also be nice, in case of recording something.

I live in UK and I thought about spending around 40 pounds (~60 dollars) hunting for something on eBay, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I can throw some more money in, if it makes a big difference.

Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Forget about anything that's not garbage with 88 keys for that budget.

The Casio WK keyboards are 76 keys though.

You might find a good deal on a WK-1300 or WK-1350 for that price and they come with about 128 GM Voices.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well, I don't expect anything I could use for gigs or professional recordings. I bought my Yamaha for only 2 pounds, so I thought expanding the budget to 40 on used intruments might be a step forward, but as I said I don't know much about keyboards, and found the first one only by chance ;)

Actually, the PSS-31 I have feels pretty good to me, I enjoy playing it. It's just the range that bothers me... Maybe anything of that quality, but with more keys? Just mediocre quality, but not utter garbage ;p

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll google that Casio soon and check it ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm just saying that anything in the $60 range with 88 keys that you will find will probably need more in repairs than it's worth. Literally garbage.

Look at the WK-1200 and WK-1250 and WK-1300 and WK-1350.

They're all about 15 years or older and gathering dust in someone's attic.

Like I said, those will give you 76 unweighted keys.

You can also shop around for used Casio CTK and Yamaha PSR units of that vintage.

If you were willing to spend $100 you could probably find a brand new CTK-2200 or something similar as well.

But you'll find that if you shop around on craigslist and ebay that people expect their used keyboards to hold a lot of value.

For 2 bucks what you found with your PSR was literally someone who had no clue of the resale value of the unit.

You could probably quite easily turn around and sell it for $20 on craigslist if it's in good working order.

So don't take the "garbage" remark personally. It's just that even garbage is worth $60 to some DIY types who find vintage instruments and fix them up.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you for your input ;) I've done some searching and found Casio CTK520 for 50 pounds (~70 dollars). I have no idea which CTK are better or how to read their number. Is it worth it? Comes with a stand, which is a nice bonus..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry but I'm not an encyclopaedia of model numbers either.

Google is your bestest friend :)

Search on the model numbers and you'll get an idea of current market values and dates of manufacture.

The stand alone is worth $20 used.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question