Check Out These Bad Boys!

Reaction score
Hey all, a friend of mine asked me to program some sounds into her rather venerable Roland keyboards for a Beatles tribute she has just joined. I've never encountered either 'board before - check out the picture:

MKeys.JPG
The one on the bottom is an XP-30. In my view it would make an excellent boat anchor.

However the one on top is a seriously ancient but incredibly fun JX-3P, and I have to tell you I had a blast with it. I was giggling and clapping my hands like a mad scientist as I slowly managed to chisel the intro sound to Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds out of it.

By the way, I did suggest to my friend that she might look at upgrading her rig. But I also told her I was in love with the JX-3P. Worst subtractive synthesis programming interface ever (nary a knob to be found), but it's so wrong that it feels right...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Where's the memory card slots? Where's the USB ports? If you use aftertouch does the creamy jam filling come oozing out? ;)

Seriously though, those are just what the doctor ordered if you want to cover old Duran Duran and Thompson Twins and Sparks. :)

Any chance you could post up a quick audio demo to let us know how they sound?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Any chance you could post up a quick audio demo to let us know how they sound?

Gary ;)

I'd love to Gary but I don't really have a home recording set up. I'm a live player only so I don't have a studio as such. I could try and record something on my phone but you wouldn't get the full awesomeness of the JX-3P.

Reaction score
Wow that's a cool little bit of gear. Last time I fiddled around with an 8 track for home recording it was a DAT.

Oh dear, showing my age...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The price they're selling it for is phenomenal. I bought a two track Tascam for the same price last year. :eek:

Gary

Ask a Question