Chill

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I detect a bit of saturation in the guitar riffs and the bass.

Try re-recording it with less clipping and a flat EQ.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if the guitar parts were keyboard or not. But when you are recording to video it's a good idea to pay attention to the Vu meters if you have them. Ideally they should never go red during a recording for more than fractions of a second.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hmmm what i use is a Presonus digital mixer the meters were in the yellow and i transfer it to an SD card and slip it in Windows Movie Maker for video and then on to You Tube .. The Mixer never went red so i wonder what Happened ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A lot can happen in the DSPs of an individual machine's sound card.

An engineer's best tools are still his ears and a good sound system to play it back thru.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary for your Time ... i am working on my Version of ' Secret Agent Man' so we will see how that turns out ..have a Good Week always Appreciate you input ..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome Mark. I'm a little confused as to your workflow. You're recording to an SD card and then transferring to a Windows machine to render the movie?

If so I'd suggest dropping the volume of the original recording by a few dB and try again. It is possible to delete a Youtube video and post it again as a new one. It's hard to find but if you use their help files and their FAQ it will explain how to do it. It may also make a difference as to what audio codec you are using in Movie Maker.

It really is a nice piece, but the fortissimo notes are a bit jarring on a good sound system with the audible clipping.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary Maybe i am Doing it wrong ..Let Fill You in ... First i compose a song on the S670 and record it to the keyboard then when i think i got it down i transfer it to the Presonus Mixer , now i have a Computer and the Presonus Program but since i am new to this recording stuff i choose not to get onto that yet .. so i record it on the sd card in the mixer ..then take out the SD Card and go into the Living Room and insert it in my main computer and transfer it to Movie Maker ..when its complete i load it into You Tube and that is it .. ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's how I do it.

First I record as MIDI on my Linux computer into my Cakewalk Sequencer.

Once I am done with my edits and takes I play it back from my Mixer connected to the keyboards into the computer's sound card. I have a Yamaha mixer with a USB soundcard built in but I prefer to use an audio line in directly to the computer.

At that point I am recording audio as a WAV file into a program called Soundrecorder. This program has VU meters that are pretty accurate and I can get a good uncompressed CD quality audio file this way.

My next step is to convert the WAV file into an MP3 using a program called Soundconverter.

My final step is to route the output of an MP3 player and a video visualizer program called ProjectM into a screen capture program called Vokoscreen using the LAME audio codec and MPEG4 video codec to create an MP4 file which ultimately gets uploaded to Youtube.

What may be tripping you up is compression artifacts on your audio track if Movie Maker is using excessive compression on the audio track. Check your settings in Movie Maker and see if you can configure for better audio.

I'll be the first to admit it takes a lot of fiddling to get everything humming along perfectly but once it happens it's magical.

And if you want the name of the visualizer for Windows you can find an equivalent called Milkdrop.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Can You Send That to me again ..in English :p Thanks i have a lot to learn its fun though and being retired a good Cigar and Playing the Keyboard is my Past time .. i also have a like Brand new Dx7 with a new in the box Vintage BC3 Breath Controller i have yet to use ... what other instruments do you play any ? i also have a 1958 original Gretsch Anniversary 6120 guitar my father gave me in 1960 with a Gibson Tube Amp .. a 1960 Aria 5 string Banjo , a Violin ect i don't read a lick of Music but i taught myself over the years how to play

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry about the technobabble but electronic music production these days is full of buzzwords. ;)

My wrist doesn't bend properly to play a fretted instrument.

I started out playing a Yamaha Boehm flute when I was 18 or 19 but don't have the lung power today to make one work properly.

I flirted for a while with a 5 string Framus banjo because of the narrow neck but ended up selling it off after a couple of years.

I also bought a $50 violin once at a pawn shop but nothing ever came of that at all. It ended up hanging on the wall of my brother's rumpus room :D

Nowadays I play mainly keys though I do also own an electronic wind instrument and an Alesis Samplepad I can practice drumming on, but I really don't sound that great on either one.

For a complete list of my hardware check out my signature and the Rig Pics thread here on the forums.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/keyboard-rig-pics.21919/page-15

I've been pretty much keyboard centric for the past twenty five or thirty years or so, and I've always considered them my first love ever since I first heard a Moog synthesizer back in the late 60's or early 70's. Specifically this tune by Dick Hyman. The Minotaur. The very first commercial song release featuring a Moog Synthesizer.

I'd love to lay my hands on this CD but it's been out of print for years and is crazy expensive. :p

Oh, also in my collection but not listed are a Hoehner wooden recorder, a steel pennywhistle and a no name brand Chinese melodica. These I consider more to be fun toys than production instruments. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Nice tune Mark, well done. Agree with Gary the recording is a little "hot", but from a musical perspective it's a really relaxing and enjoyable listen.

Ask a Question