Choices help.

Reaction score
I tried looking on the 'which one first' thread but couldn't read the file so sorry but I'm posting a question probably asked many times. I'm buying for my daughter who is being taught at school. She's a teenager who loves musical theatre so we want to get a keyboard that will last long term to help her with her studies through college and university. So I need help with the following options (all Yamaha). Psr e443, psr ew400 or psr s670. Obviously there is a big price range there but ultimately she'd like to add a synth pad ??? To help create further compositions etc (I have no idea as I originally learnt on a three tier organ back in the 80's!!!) Any help welcome

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just a few tips before the others jump in on this thread. Fred Coulter has a daughter in a Conservatory at the moment and will doubtless have much to add.

First of all, if she is seriously planning to play keys in musical theater and compose operettas and the like then you should get her started on 88 Weighted Hammer Action Keys from the get go.

Secondly, you didn't mention a budget so I'll assume you wish to spend around the $1000- $1500 USD range.

Thirdly you seem married to Yamaha arrangers.

If I might make a suggestion, have her look at, in no particular order:

Roland Juno DS88

Casio PX-560 or PX-5S

Korg Krome 88

All of these will serve a budding composer very well indeed for at least a decade if not more.

Take a look at these various keyboards demoed on Youtube for more info.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Budget is at lot lower unfortunately. Only about £500 Max so $650 but I will look into your info. So again thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For $650 USD look around craigslist for used gear instead.

For instance a used Yamaha DGX 640 or DGX 650 or a used Casio Privia PX-350 or PX-330.

Avoid any used gear that's older than 10 years old and I advise using craigslist over ebay for reasons I outlined in the Used Roland E-09 Thread.

Gary ;)

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Just to reiterate what Gary has written, it is important in the early stages, for 'serious' work, to go for an 88 key, hammer action keyboard.
Initially one doesn't use the full range of the keyboard, but will eventually.
"Hammer action" means that it plays very similarly to a piano, as if the pressing of a key triggers a hammer striking a string.
Playing organ or synthesiser after learning piano action is relatively straightforward and easy.

The other major factor is the pedals that will be needed.
Initially one just learns the notes, then the use of the sustain pedal with the notes, eventually the sostenuto pedal (the middle one) and the soft pedal.
If you're buying a keyboard for the future then it should be able to support a three pedal unit.

I've just bought a Casio Privia PX-560 which has all of the above, plus a "hex editor" where you can shape your own sounds and save them.
It also has an arranger where you can compose a multi-track song. All the features are accessible from a colour touch screen.
I'm absolutely delighted with the purchase.

The only problem is, it would appear to be out of your price bracket.
But using it as a model for what you should be looking for might be an idea for you.
The model is so new that there are not going to be many used ones on the market, I'd guess.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
When my eldest daughter started college as a vocal performance major, my father (a classical composer and pianist) took her to Sam Ash to pick up a piano. He was looking only for the sound, and found that the Casio's were very inexpensive, light, and had a decent feel and sound.

The piano moved to my younger daughter, and she used a MIDI interface to have it talk to a computer for her composing work.

Normally I recommend hardware sound generation, because I think of playing out. But my daughter (vocal performance and musical theater major at Oklahoma City University) has felt no need for her keyboard to do anything other than piano. If she needs other sounds, she uses Band Camp (or whatever program it is that comes on a Mac). And for scoring, even though the school is a Sibelius school, she uses MuseScore. (Or something like that; the free program.) BTW, in addition to her two majors and a minor in Production and Design with an emphasis on lighting design, she's continuing her piano studies beyond what's required, taking composition, AND picking up organ. She claims she would like to eat regularly once she graduates.

Good luck to your daughter. Where is she planning on going?

Ask a Question