Choosing a basic keyboard!!

Reaction score
Hello, I am basically looking for a keyboard for recording onto a Yamaha AW16G. It will not be used for live performances.

The only things I am after really is quite a good selection of realistic sounds such is organs, violins and other string instruments, mellotrons etc, the kind of sounds you would find on Beatles & Pink Floyd records (I understand that it is unlikely that I will get something that sounds exactly the same as this). I am not really interested in all the extra features you get on more expensive keyboards.

I don't really have a budget but just dont want to pay extra for something with features which I won't use, like I said, its just a keyboard with realistic sounding instruments for recording parts straight into a Yamaha AW16G.

Please excuse me if I sound too picky but I must stress that I know nothing about keyboards, this is my first one. I can play most of the basic chords and scales but nothing fancy.

I thank everyone in advance for their help!

Reaction score
No such keyboard exists.

Seriously, there's no really good way to get a variety of good-quality sounds without the extra features too. In the keyboard world, buy for what you want, and if you get extra, so be it. For a reasonable budget, I'd suggest looking at the Korg M-50 or the Yamaha MO6/MO8; going up from there is the Yamaha Motif XS, Roland Fantom G, and Korg M3. Really, go into a store and try out a few and see what sounds good and feels good to you. You best know the sounds you want.

Another possibility, if you know enough about various organs to make your own presets (it's not that hard to set drawbar positions, and there are plenty of resources online) is the Nord Electro 3, although there's no weighted version of it if weight is important to you. The one drawback is that I think you can only play one sound at once, which might not be a problem for you.

Ask a Question