Chord inversions. When?

Reaction score
As some know here I am newer to the “playing of the keys” and working on chord inversions.
My question, When? In the music I am learning right now it’s handling left hand work with just a chord note (C,F,G) above the staff. Let’s say G. While I can figure out keys for the chord, in any form, how do I know if is the proper....... inversion to use.? Just because it’s easier? Or out of the way of the right hand?.
I need to know........l....

Reaction score
Firstly, what sounds good to your ear.

Secondly, what allows you to move from chord to chord with minimal shift in hand and finger position.

Reaction score
Firstly, what sounds good to your ear.

Secondly, what allows you to move from chord to chord with minimal shift in hand and finger position.
2 excellent answers, thanks. The left hand at times mystifies me, not really sure why.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The left hand at times mystifies me, not really sure why.
The left hand for me co-ordinates my chords nicelly. 90 percent of them are inversions. I cannot play chords with my right hand. Just melody usually one finger or 2 finger notes. How we are different eh! But what @CowboyNQ said . . it sounds good to MY ears. (no one elses!! just mine lol!)
Ray

Reaction score
A while back I posted this to someone who could not get there head around inversions, it leads up to a little exercise
Using C to keep everything on the white notes

Play a root C chord, C E G

Now take your finger off the C and play the C one octave higher, this is the First Inversion.

Now playing the G and C move the E one octave higher, this is the Second Inversion

That is it, at its simplest this is the same for all three note chords

Try this play Root C, 2nd inversion F and 2nd inversion G, take note of how little you have to move your hand.

This is the beauty of learning inversions.

Reaction score
A while back I posted this to someone who could not get there head around inversions, it leads up to a little exercise
Using C to keep everything on the white notes

Play a root C chord, C E G

Now take your finger off the C and play the C one octave higher, this is the First Inversion.

Now playing the G and C move the E one octave higher, this is the Second Inversion

That is it, at its simplest this is the same for all three note chords

Try this play Root C, 2nd inversion F and 2nd inversion G, take note of how little you have to move your hand.

This is the beauty of learning inversions.
You can also do 2nd inversion F (C-F-A) and 1st Inversion G (B-D-G) with root C (C-E-G) in any I-IV-V progression, it allows for really easy changes. Works really well especially if you are doing organ stuff.

Also, 2 handed chord with 7ths is where the beauty of inversions really comes in. You can get some nice chord voicings without super complex shapes.

From a band standpoint, in an overall band mix sometimes inversions can be key to not encroaching on other people's sonic space.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I had a crack at playing "Tequila"

It has quick and frequent chord changes in it From F to Eb.

Having adapted the F inversion technique which I always use . .it is very tricky to switch to Eb.
Now I have to educate my fingers to adapt the conventional F chord (FAC) as it make for an easy transition to Eb

So, not all situations by using inversions is convenient.

Ray

Ask a Question