Classic key plugins for Daws.

Reaction score
I am glad to have found this forum.

Question:
I am looking for classic plugins of known Vintage and Classic keyboards.
E.g.
1) Motif plugins, (I currently use XS8, but would like to have a plugin also if someone created one)
2) Oberheim, this is a plugin I would really like if it exists.
3) Dx7, I currently use Arturio plugin
4) Wurlitzer
5) Rhodes
6) Great Grand Pianos.
And the list goes on.

Both free and purchased recommendations are welcome.
free is not always bad, e.g. I find that the free Dexed DX7 plugin is way better than the Arturia commercial version.

I know there are a zillion plugins avaialable for each, but maybe someone can suggest what they found the best, both free and commercial. Will help me not to test all available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its not a dead duck.

Response depends upon the question and yours would for me require a considerable amount of time researching online, a task you can easily undertake yourself.

In have a great Rhodes plug in but have no idea where it can be obtained from so to source one plugin would be a lit of effort.

Good luck

Reaction score
Not a relevant explanation.
The question clearly says IF you currently use one you found the greatest.
"but maybe someone can suggest what they found the best, both free and commercial."

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As far as quality plugins that emulate classic electric pianos, organs, synths, etc., Arturia makes some outstanding ones. They aren't cheap, but if you get their V Collection while it's on sale, it can be a great bargain.

AIR also makes some quality plugins, including some which emulate classic instruments. In addition to individual soft synths, they have a product called Ignite which I got for free with a purchase of an M-Audio keyboard several years ago. It has a nice collection of various "standard" instrument sound, such as you'd expect to find on any decent portable keyboard-- acoustic and electric pianos, organs of various types (pipe, reed, drawbar, etc.), acoustic and electric guitars, basses, horns and so forth, synth patches of various types, and of course drums and percussion, all of which can be tweaked to your liking. It's not really a plugin, though-- almost more like a mini DAW in itself, with the ability to record and edit tracks. Or you can just use it a keyboard controller to play live.

Reaction score
Motif series is sample based. No one else can (legitimately) use Yamaha samples, so there will not be a plug-in. However, Yamaha owns Steinberg, so some of their samples have probably found their way into Cubase.

Oberheim is a company, not a keyboard. You can find plug-ins, but you need to know which Oberheim you're trying to emulate. SEM and Matrix 12 emulations are available from Arturia, at least. Other companies have emulated OB-X.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
As far as Motif, a couple of years ago someone on another forum site was asking about the legality of certain Motif samples which were being sold on eBay by some third party. I don't remember the specifics, but if you search for something like "Motif samples for Kontakt" you might find them.

There were also samples from other brands and models of synths from the same third party. Our expectation at the time was that they would probably get yanked due to illegality or infringement, but for all I know they might have been legally licensed.

It's interesting that there are sampling engines out there which can quickly record samples from a hardware synth, then use them to create soundfonts or similar sample libraries. And when I say "interesting," what I mean is that keyboard manufacturers will actually cooperate with the developers so the sampling engine can be more easily used with their synths!

But I would think that such user-created sample libraries would need to be used only by the original user and keyboard owner, and not sold or given away.

The wording of the EULA of most synths seems to imply that sampling the synth's sounds for your own personal use-- even for making professional recordings (compositions) and public performances-- is allowed. After all, if you can't record the sounds that your keyboard is making and include them in your would-be number one hit, then what would be the point of buying the keyboard in the first place?

But that isn't the same thing as sampling your keyboard's sounds and then selling the sampled voices for use in DAWs, other keyboards, etc.

Reaction score

Thank you biggles, this is a good find, with a few great authentic sounding ones.
For the price though, there is just too much guitar and spacey junk for the price.
I definitely will see if I can get individual items. There are some great ones for sure.

In general , it is amazing how underwhelming everyones B3's sound. Not close to the original at all. The sound has no intention.
It seems B3s are almost impossible to sample authentically.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think that with Hammond emulations, half of the problem is emulating the Leslie speaker-- which, of course, is a separate thing from the Hammond organs, but was used so much with Hammonds that it's hard to think of a "famous" Hammond sound that doesn't include the effect of playing the Hammond through a Leslie.

Reaction score
For Hammond+Leslie emulation, check out Blue3 (GG Audio), VB3 (GSI), and B5 (Acoustic Samples). The first two have free demos. If none of the included Leslie sims work for you, check out Amplitube Leslie (IK Multimedia).

Reaction score
Thank you biggles, this is a good find, with a few great authentic sounding ones.
For the price though, there is just too much guitar and spacey junk for the price.
I definitely will see if I can get individual items. There are some great ones for sure.

In general , it is amazing how underwhelming everyones B3's sound. Not close to the original at all. The sound has no intention.
It seems B3s are almost impossible to sample authentically.

It does get very good reviews and I did try a few of the sounds instore a while back as the retailer had a NI demo system set up, unfortunately my session was fairly brief to get a good view of the range of sounds and their quality. I suffer from iwantoneoftheseituss and knew if I played with it to long my credit card would take another thrashing.

For the Rhodes when I bought my Arturia keyboard their Rhodes app was included, whilst I certainly am not an expert on the true Rhodes kit the app is excellent. There is a demo version available foc which is probably what they supplied with the keyboard but at 149 Euro for the full versions its a bit rich for me. Check out.

Ask a Question