CoB Sounds With Pitch Bend But Cheap

Reaction score
I think the title tells the keyboard that i want.

I can afford a keyboard around 200$.Because where i live musical instruments are a lot more expensive.
It should contain metal music sound samples.I tried some keyboards at a mall but they only have basic piano sounds and its variations.

I like CoB keyboard style.So i don't really need sensitive keys but it would be nice.It don't have to contain sample beats because i use backing tracks.I only need customisable sounds and a pitch bend.
PS : I am a newbie and i don't really good at speaking English so sorry for my mistakes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all what's "CoB?" That's an acronym I haven't come across before.

Secondly what is your intention in using the keyboard? Will you be taking it around on gigs or will it just sit on a stand in your home?

I ask this because if your objective is saving money, then your best bet might be picking up a dedicated MIDI controller keyboard and running it with Software Synths on your computer.

This would give you the best bang for your buck on a limited budget.

Something like the M-Audio Oxygen 61 would fit nicely inside your budget and leave you some cash to spare.

List price is $249 USD but street price can be had for about 30% below that price.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=USBkeyboardcontrollers

Another way to save money on a tight budget is to shop around for used equipment. I don't trust Ebay but Craigslist is usually a great place to find a few local bargains you can actually touch before you lay your money down.

Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
I suspect that by CoB he means Children of Bodom.
More worryingly, I suspect he thinks that spending $200 on a keyboard will make him sound like Janne Wirman.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I still had to look them up on youtube even after you dropped the name. :p

From what I saw and heard, a $200 MIDI controller and a soft synth are probably his best bet with that budget.

Even an Akai Miniak or a Microkorg or an M-Audio Venom would blow his budget to smithereens unless he can find a sweet deal on a used one.

As for trying to emulate that band with a low end ROMpler like a Casio or a Yamaha, it would be fun to watch him try :D :D :D

Reaction score
Oyst3h : You are right and thanks for the insulting comment.Not having thousands of dollars must be a shame for me.
happyrat1 : Thanks for your recommendations.I will look to them now.But im from Turkey so im not sure if i can find them here.I will keep you informed.
Those are the exact things that i was looking for.

PS : I'm just starting out on the keyboard.I don't know much but i know i can't get that sound with a 200 dollar equipment.I have been playing guitar for 2.5 years.
I have given more advice to beginners than most of this forum.But i have never used that language.

Reaction score
I can afford these:

http://www.dodiyez.com/M-Audio-Keystation-88es,PR-46.html
http://www.dodiyez.com/M-Audio-Oxygen-61-V30,PR-47.html
http://www.dodiyez.com/M-Audio-Keystation-61es,PR-43.html

I don't know the difference btw.But they look good.

Can you suggest a keyboard which i can use alone (without computer)? I think those are called "hardware synth".They look pretty expensive.
I guess i'll start with a Casio 4200 or something like that till i get used to it.Then i will buy an expensive one.

Thanks for everything.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Keystation is M-Audio's cheapest line of MIDI controllers. Not much more than a keyboard and a pitch bend and mod wheel.

The Oxygen has more assignable knobs and buttons to give you more control from the keyboard without having to reach for your mouse everytime you want to adjust the sound.

Next up the line are the Axiom line. Better build quality and still more controls.

The numbers after each are the number of keys on the keybed. 49 = 4 octaves. 61 = 5 octaves. 88 = 7 octaves.

As for the sounds you want, I already suggested the Microkorg, the Akai Miniak and the M-Audio venom. All of these are hardware synths. Another one worth mentioning is the Casio XW-P1. I own one of these.

Anyway, most of these run between double and triple your stated budget. If you want to stay inside your budget and get those sounds soft synth is the way to go.

Also you could check your local classified ads and craigslist for something professional but used. An old Korg Triton LE or Yamaha Motif could possibly be found in 61 key versions for close to the price of the Microkorg or the Miniak.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, as for the jokes and cracks we made. We're a bunch of old farts who paid our dues and earned our gear the hard way. Making fun of young peoples' naivete is what old farts do ;)

After all, what would you say to a 12 year old who told you he wanted to sound just like Jimi Hendrix on a $200 guitar? ;)

It's all in good fun son. Just save up your money and you'll figure out how to spend it best while you're earning it... :)

Gary

Reaction score
Oyst3h : You are right and thanks for the insulting comment.Not having thousands of dollars must be a shame for me.

Sorry if I offended you, I wasn't making a comment on your finances. It was meant as a hint that you may be trying to run before you can walk; aiming to sound like Janne Wirman on your first synth. Janne Wirman learnt piano from pre-school, attended the top music school in Finland and has pretty much dedicated his life to learning how to play keys. He is regularly quoted by keyboard players as the "top" musician of his generation. It's just not possible to pick up a $200 keyboard and sound like Janne Wirman, same as you can't pick up a cheap guitar and straightaway sound like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Still, stick with it, and share with us how you get on. I promise not to be so cynical next time! ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for feedbacks.I am deeply sorry for my attitude.I thought you were one of those immature grown ups.I have realized that i did a mistake.

The reason why i keep asking for a separate equipment is that i cannot use computer at my home.This is my last year at high school and i have a big exam at next August.
So i am forbidden to spend time in front of computer.Bu i can't take 8 hour school + 4 hour study alone.I have to relax somehow and i like music.

I wanted Casio CTK-4200 because of this video.

I thought it has enough sounds for entertainment.
Thanks you for your kindness.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The CTK-4200 does have 600 sounds to play with and it's not bad for a starter keyboard. Hell it's a lot better than what I had to start with 35 years ago.

Go ahead and get it. It will make you a better player and it will tide you over until you are earning enough to buy something professional grade.

Like we said though, just don't expect a $200 keyboard to sound like your favorite rock band just like you wouldn't expect a $200 guitar to act and play like a $1000 Gibson or Fender.

Everything's relative and everyone has to start somewhere. Start off with the best you can afford and work your way up from there...

More power to ya...

Gary :)

The Y_man

Reaction score
Like we said though, just don't expect a $200 keyboard to sound like your favorite rock band just like you wouldn't expect a $200 guitar to act and play like a $1000 Gibson or Fender.

Actually a fairer comparison in the guitar world would be an $80 electric with a $50 amp.

The Y-man

Reaction score
I have bought the keyboard, and i have to say.It's awesome.
I can play anything i want with a little effort.I don't have to practice hours and hours for a simple song.

But i have questions if you have spare time to answer:

1)Is there any good songs for organ sounds at beginner level? Or i should practice easy songs first?
2)I can connect ctk-4200 to computer as a MIDI device i assume.But i don't know any programs that i can use that feature.Do you know one?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
If you connect the keyboard to a computer via USB/MIDI, you use a "MIDI Sequencer" to record the notes you play.
If you also connect the audio output into your computer sound card, you can use a "DAW" to record the sounds you play.
Most audio programs these days provide both MIDI Sequencer and DAW functions. Check out Reaper - it's free to download, cheap if you then buy it, and full of features.

Lots of songs use organ sounds. Try learning "Whiter Shade of Pale". That's a classic organ song and not particularly hard to play.

Reaction score
I have solved the problem by downloading FL Studio 10 and disabling speakers.Now i can edit and use any sound that i want.

Now i have a soft synth and a hard synth. :D

Ask a Question