Code61 mutes audio when F7 slider moved

Reaction score
Hi - I'm mapping various controls on a Code61 to parameters in an HX3 Hammond organ MIDI module (hardware). The Code's 9 faders are mapped to the HX3's 9 drawbars. All is well except that if fader F7 is moved while, eg a chord is being held down, then the sound mutes. If I replay the chord with F7 in its new position audio returns and the drawbar controlled by F7 sounds correctly. It's as though F7 is sending an 'all notes off' msg or similar, however MIDIOX seems to show the fader sending the correct CC number ($71 or 133) to control the 1 3/5 drawbar. The organ module's display also shows graphically the correct drawbar moving while the F7 fader moves.

Can anyone spot the obvious mistake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_Midiox-Code61-HX3.jpg
    Screenshot_Midiox-Code61-HX3.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 13

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It could be a software bug.

Have you contacted the software's manufacturer?

Ditto for hardware.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
i have a code 61 and use it to control VB3-ii and have no issues like you encounter. Also for HX3 there is a pre-programmed midi map that is supplied by carsten meyer which automaps HX3 to the Code 61. are you using the premapped file available from Carsten?

the code 61 also has editor software which you can load in windows and it shows you what cc's are controlled by each controller. that might provide you a visual of what actual cc slider #7 is controlling and then you need to understand what that cc controls in HX3. it's possible it is controlling cc#7 which is the master volume control of HX3, so as you move that slider it might be reducing the master volume to zero. i would use the program supplied by carsten and load that into the Code 61. i have that file somewhere but not on the device that i m currently typing on right now.

I checked the Github website and it looks as though Carsten has moved things around on his site. simply contact him and ask him for the .exe file that loads the HX3 midi mapping directly onto the Code 61. i'm guessing that this will solve your issue. also ensure that the code has the latest firmware (v 1.8?) loaded as it fixes software bugs. that can be obtained from the m-audio site. i also have that file somewhere on another computer.

i noticed that the expression pedal is assigned to cc#7 (volume), shouldn't it control cc#11 (expression)?

try flipping the cc assignment on sliders 7 & 8, so that 7 controls 1 1/3 and 8 controls 1 3/5. If 7 still shuts down the volume then there is an issue with the code 61; if 8 now shuts down the volume then its not a code 61 issue, its a cc assignment issue with HX3.

report back your results....

Last edited:
Reaction score
i have a code 61 and use it to control VB3-ii and have no issues like you encounter. Also for HX3 there is a pre-programmed midi map that is supplied by carsten meyer which automaps HX3 to the Code 61. are you using the premapped file available from Carsten?

the code 61 also has editor software which you can load in windows and it shows you what cc's are controlled by each controller. that might provide you a visual of what actual cc slider #7 is controlling and then you need to understand what that cc controls in HX3. it's possible it is controlling cc#7 which is the master volume control of HX3, so as you move that slider it might be reducing the master volume to zero. i would use the program supplied by carsten and load that into the Code 61. i have that file somewhere but not on the device that i m currently typing on right now.

I checked the Github website and it looks as though Carsten has moved things around on his site. simply contact him and ask him for the .exe file that loads the HX3 midi mapping directly onto the Code 61. i'm guessing that this will solve your issue. also ensure that the code has the latest firmware (v 1.8?) loaded as it fixes software bugs. that can be obtained from the m-audio site. i also have that file somewhere on another computer.

i noticed that the expression pedal is assigned to cc#7 (volume), shouldn't it control cc#11 (expression)?

try flipping the cc assignment on sliders 7 & 8, so that 7 controls 1 1/3 and 8 controls 1 3/5. If 7 still shuts down the volume then there is an issue with the code 61; if 8 now shuts down the volume then its not a code 61 issue, its a cc assignment issue with HX3.

report back your results....
Hi Dave - Problem solved. Similarly to your closing suggestion above I had already tried mapping a different controller (the E8 pot) to the HX3 drawbar. The pot controlled the drawbar perfectly with no audio dropout. So I simply assigned the CC value of the E8 pot to the previously problematic F7 fader. Bingo it contols the drawbar with no muting. So a CC assignment issue sounds correct.

Regarding Carsten's midi map, I understand it is for the latest version HX3.5 whereas I have the older 3.4. I thought I'd start from scratch as I'd previously successfully mapped my NE4 controls to the HX3.

And I did have to upgrade the Code's firmware to have it talk nicely with the preset editor.

The expression pedal I'm connecting directly to the HX3 so hadn't got around to changing it on the Code.

Thanks for your input!

Reaction score
Hi Dave - Problem solved. Similarly to your closing suggestion above I had already tried mapping a different controller (the E8 pot) to the HX3 drawbar. The pot controlled the drawbar perfectly with no audio dropout. So I simply assigned the CC value of the E8 pot to the previously problematic F7 fader. Bingo it contols the drawbar with no muting. So a CC assignment issue sounds correct.

Regarding Carsten's midi map, I understand it is for the latest version HX3.5 whereas I have the older 3.4. I thought I'd start from scratch as I'd previously successfully mapped my NE4 controls to the HX3.

And I did have to upgrade the Code's firmware to have it talk nicely with the preset editor.

The expression pedal I'm connecting directly to the HX3 so hadn't got around to changing it on the Code.

Thanks for your input!
Carsten created the Midi map file for the Code 61 before he introduced version 3.5 so it would apply to your 3.4 version. In addition to the file he also created a label set template that you can stick to your code 61. check out this video where he shows the label set on the code 61....

also, check all of the "zones" in the preset you are using, it is possible that zone 2,3, or 4 might have cc#7 assigned to the f7 slider on that preset. if you have midi ox move the f7 slider and see if somehow f7 is sending either cc7 or cc11 as well as the 1 3/5 drawbar. the issue has to be a cc assignment. the code comes with preloaded presets for ableton and other software. i'm guessing that the preset you overwrote with hx3 cc's has remnants of the original preset data left over in other 'zones' and this is causing your issue. if you are using only one zone in your hx3 preset turn off the other zones i.e. unlight the zone 2,3,4 buttons and see if F7 works correctly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Carsten created the Midi map file for the Code 61 before he introduced version 3.5 so it would apply to your 3.4 version. In addition to the file he also created a label set template that you can stick to your code 61. check out this video where he shows the label set on the code 61....

also, check all of the "zones" in the preset you are using, it is possible that zone 2,3, or 4 might have cc#7 assigned to the f7 slider on that preset. if you have midi ox move the f7 slider and see if somehow f7 is sending either cc7 or cc11 as well as the 1 3/5 drawbar. the issue has to be a cc assignment. the code comes with preloaded presets for ableton and other software. i'm guessing that the preset you overwrote with hx3 cc's has remnants of the original preset data left over in other 'zones' and this is causing your issue. if you are using only one zone in your hx3 preset turn off the other zones i.e. unlight the zone 2,3,4 buttons and see if F7 works correctly.
Thanks Dave - I had seen that video and it informed my choice on the Code61 (now discontinued but I found someone who had bought one during Covid lock-down boredom, then realised that he didn't really need it :D ).
Carsten's label set covers more parameters than are available on my HX3.4 (eg equalizer) which made me doubt at how well his midi map would apply to me. It may have broadly applied and simply needed some tweaking of mismatched parameters.
I feel that you are onto something with your suggestion that remnant assignments from a previous preset may have been causing my issue. Certainly, for a while, the F1 fader was controlling both the 16' drawbar AND acting in its original role as master volume. Eventually the volume behavior stopped but I couldn't pinpoint what I had done to effect that.
For now I have it 'giggable'. A future step may be to set up one button access to a small number of presets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbmusichelp

Latest Threads