Compatibility of MOX8 and MOXF8

Reaction score
Looking for a backup keyboard for my MOX8. Can I upload my MOX8 programs to a MOXF8? Are they compatible? I'm assuming they are since they're the same MOX architecture.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. According to information on Motivator.com, the two models are not directly compatible. YMMV Merry Christmas - Don aka B3

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, @Kiddo!

Can you explain what you mean by "my MOX8 programs"? Are they user voices, performances, songs, etc.?

I don't know if there are utilities that can convert, say, a MOX performance to a MOXF performance, but I know there are programs and apps for computers and tablets that let you edit and manage performances for various Yamaha synths-- Motif, MO, MOX, MOXF, MX, etc.-- so it might be that one of those would let you load a MOX performance and save it as a MOXF performance.

If you're talking about songs (standard MIDI files or SMFs), you might need to edit the Bank Select and Program Change numbers, and possibly some of the other messages-- SysEx, CC, etc.-- to accommodate any differences between the voices and effects on the two synths. The MIDI data lists for the two models should help immensely for seeing where any differences exist.

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for your response. So, I have 15 songs and 15 performances saved to my MOX8. I've backed them up to a thumb drive. I was wondering if I could upload them to a MOXF8. I was able to do it, but from what I can tell, a little tweaking on some of the songs/performances will be needed. Some of the parameters & effects didn't carry over.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Have you looked into any programs or apps to see if they'll let you import or convert performance data from one model to another?

It might be a long shot, but you'd think that a keyboard manufacturer would want to supply some sort of free data conversion utility to assist owners with upgrading from an older model to a newer model. After all, you'd be more likely to spend money on replacing your old gear with new gear if you know that you won't have to redo all of your registrations, performances, or set lists from the ground up, right?

Ask a Question