Complete Keyboard Player and Easiest Keyboard Collection series

Reaction score
I'm a classically trained pianist, new to keyboard playing and taking my first steps with a Yamaha PSR - E363.

I have bought and borrowed some Kenneth Baker books from his core Complete Keyboard Player Series and some old Trinity keyboard exam books. My latest purchase was "Chart Busters" which is a book from the Easiest Keyboard Collection series.

I was pretty disappointed with the arrangements from the Easiest Keyboard Collection book but have found almost all of the arrangements in the Kenneth Baker books to be spot on.

So my question is .... if I like the core books in the Complete Keyboard Player series will I like the other books that are published in that series like the Musical book and Greatest Hits? Is Kenneth Baker the arranger in the newer, non core books?

Also, what do you think of the Easiest Keyboard Collection series? They have a great range of books but I am reluctant to try another one after my disappointment with my recent purchase.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with either series, but the name "Easiest Keyboard" does imply that the arrangements are as simplistic as possible. Some of the songs might even be transposed to keys that are easier to play, or some of the chords in the chord progressions might be replaced with simpler versions-- e.g., a basic C chord might be substituted for a C7 chord.

That doesn't necessarily mean such arrangements are worthless, and some keyboardists prefer such simplistic arrangements because they're easier to play. But I'd rather have the more comprehensive arrangements, so I don't have to spend a lot of time trying to transcribe a more accurate arrangement by ear.

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGtGruff ... I see your point. Are there any particular publishers or arranger/composers you can recommend for keyboard music?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The Kenneth Baker books are top notch. They set me in the right direction. I recommend any (aged) novice wanting to playt KB to embrace the Kenneth Baker methods. Also his diverse range of styles would be suitable for any (aged) newbie/learner.

I have bracketed "aged" for good reason. Please read on.

Hal Leonard books are also worthwhile. They got me started too. I would recommend these equal to Kenneth Baker.

I am not familiar with the Easiest Keyboard Collection. Sorry I cannot comment on them.

The learning processes based on the Baker and Leonard methods are simple, rewarding and ongoing. From my personal experience, having never ever had a music lesson with a human, so I value these books highly. Having being self taught by those books, now I can play real music!
In retrospect I can honestly say those books were my supreme guidance.

BUT! Not for everyone! Some people need real human tuition.
The downside of learning to play keyboard from these books is that apart from right hand melody (treble cleff) , they only show left hand chords (no bass cleff). When you learn only just treble cleff right hand and just chords for the left hand and play like this over and over and enjoy it . .it is so hard to back peddle and learn bass cleff.
If I was younger I would have opted for real human tuition. I would thoroughly recommend learning proper piano playing bass and treble. The one regret I have and the downside of learning from these books is the fact that they only teach keyboard accmpt. They do not teach bass.
But as I said earlier . . for my age . Just complete happiness and fulfilment in my playing thanks to those books.

Ray

Reaction score
Welcome.

When I started playing keys after years on guitar I went for lessons, the tutor asked if I wanted to play piano or if I wanted to play keys.

Playing keys works well for me as arthritis in my hands especially my left limits what I can do.

I got some of KB’s books to help get me started and they are great.

KB also does a Piano collection.

Hence it depends upon the way you want to go, no doubt it does feel strange being classically trained and to just play the chords with your left hand when practicing.

Can I make an alternative suggestion?

Check out PianoGenius.com the guy that runs it does a huge range of video tutorials, it is subscription but could be well worth it for a few months. The guy who runs it is a pro keyboard player and is in Rick Springfield’s backing group.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles .. will check PianoGenius.com out.

It's been very interesting trying out the keyboard after so many years of playing the piano. The biggest thing I have noticed is that I am not great at keeping in time with the rhythm unit. Obviously playing at home on the piano has made me a bit slack at keeping the beat ...

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Which Hal Leonard books have you been using

wow! There are so many. I don't use them much now. I can't remember the titles. I will need to sift through my stack and find some. They are very old I think and probably out of print. Basically each book has a few famous and favourite popular tunes of which the book teaches the relevant chords and how to play them.
I do remember buying vol's 1, 2. and 3 of a beginners series but they are long gone. Passed them on years ago.
I think Hal's music books are mostly re arrangements of all popular songs. He has converted complicated tunes into easy format. If I remember rightly a lot of the Beatles stuff for example.
Ray

Reaction score
wow! There are so many. I don't use them much now. I can't remember the titles. I will need to sift through my stack and find some. They are very old I think and probably out of print. Basically each book has a few famous and favourite popular tunes of which the book teaches the relevant chords and how to play them.
I do remember buying vol's 1, 2. and 3 of a beginners series but they are long gone. Passed them on years ago.
I think Hal's music books are mostly re arrangements of all popular songs. He has converted complicated tunes into easy format. If I remember rightly a lot of the Beatles stuff for example.
Ray

Thanks Ray. I've been on the hal leonard website and I like the look of the fake books they publish.

Reaction score
I love Kenneth Baker books, but only the songs that I'm familiar with. Don't know if it has anything to do with the version I'm using, some songs are really old.

Do the Hal Leonard books include newer songs?

Reaction score
Hal Leonard is/has a publishing company that publishes a lot of music books of all different types of music:

https://www.halleonard.com/
Oh, I knew Hal is a publisher, I've seen their books/sheets referenced in some piano/keyboard grade syllabus :)
I thought you guys were discussing specific keyboard book series published by Hal. Guess I should have read the thread more carefully.

Reaction score
You may also like to get the Yamaha Notestar app where you can get individual song scores.

There are other Apps available where you get the first page free, there are also many free scores available.

Check out on Amazon Wise Publications 100 of the best songs for keyboards

Ask a Question