Complete Keyboard Rig

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm Flenix and as I'm sure you can see from my post count - I'm new!
Basically, I'm a guitarist in my band but i'm also going to be doing keyboard on some songs too. I can play OK, I can do what I need to and thats the important part. Now I need to actually get everything I need.

OK, I need to create an entire keyboard rig for live use. I have a Microkorg, but I also want something weighted that can do piano and string sounds, so theres the first thing:
should I get an all in one unit which has the sounds built in (or on a memory card or whatever)
OR,
Should I use a MIDI controller with rack based effects and such.
Either is cool with me, I don't know which is better. As long as the sounds are ok I dont mind, cheaper is better! Cant afford a Fantom/Triton... Also what is the difference between weighted and semi-weighted? Recommend stuff, I always buy used.

Next up, do I need a keyboard amp?
Our original keyboardist just plugged into a DI box, then the mixer/PA. is that all you need or would having a seperate keyboard amp be of any advantage, would it work as a monitor too? Do I need one for each keyboard? one for each side (stereo keyboards)? what power in watts? Again recommendations are nice and I always get stuff used :)

So after the keyboard and amp, what else do I need? I know I need a stand, I'm going to get a 3 tier one from G4M, it holds 3 keyboards so its good enough for me! I'd only have two most of the time, but i'd rather pay the extra 5 in case I need a third.

Sorry for the kind of noobie questions, but I am a noob to live keys. Any help and tips are very much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Fellow newbie here!
I can hopefully answer some of your questions Flenix.
(and I'm sure the pros out there can correct anything i get wrong!)

1. Weighted keys are essentially replicating a real piano feel whereas Semi-weighted only go part of the way to giving you a realistic feel. Semi-weighted have a somewhat limited touch response.

2. Keyboard amp is a judgement call. If you have decent PA monitors then you could DI into the mixing desk and wouldn't have a problem hearing yourself. An amp is helpful though as you have more control over what you are hearing on stage and can adjust EQs etc on the fly.
A combination of both usually works though..so you can have your own mix onstage and take a DI out of your amp to the Mixer.

3. Lastly I'd say whatever keyboard/controller keyboard+rack you go for, make sure you get a sustain pedal and maybe a volume pedal too. I'm sure that's an obvious thing to say but makes a difference in terms of being able to get better expression in your playing (especially if you get a cheaper board).

In terms of makes/models of keyboards etc I refer you to the clever people on this forum..really depends what music you play and what sounds/features you want out of your instrument..
hope some of this helps??

Ask a Question