Confused about what I want. Advice needed

Reaction score
I'm new to keyboards (a guitar player) but I want to buy a decent (say $500 range) keyboard I can use primarily as a midi controller to play piano, organ, or whatever virtual instrument I choose.

I was looking at the 88 key keyboards thinking that if I'm going to play piano then I would have to have that many keys. Then I was reading some posts saying that the 76 key boards are enough for most music but you give up the weighted keys.

If I want to use this as a controller for other instruments than piano do I really want the weighted keys?

I've also seen some digital pianos that have midi. No real features as far as pads, knobs, etc. Just a plain jane keyboard. Perhaps these are a good choice?

Another point is what instruments are pretty reliable? Any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks,

Rut

Reaction score
Hello Rut

IMO 76 notes is enough - even for two handed piano type playing or setting up a split point.

As you say - weighted keyboards - good for piano, not geat for organ/synth.

Brands to avoid - actually I'm impressed at how good the budget stuff has become. If you're out playing guitar on your local band scene - make friends with some keyboard players and try out what they use. Maybe you can get a bit of free tuition for a few beers.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your keyboard adventure.

Reaction score
U really only need an 88 if ur a keyboard player and it's ur main board. If ur looking to play sounds other than piano...then a 76 key is the way to go. For organ, synth, horns, strings, etc...ur gonna want semi weighted keys or synth action keys. I'm not gonna comment on a "good" keyboard. Personally, I won't even consider a used keyboard for less than $1,000...but that's just my taste...and I pay for it.
On ur budget, see if U can swing an original Motif, or a Triton LE.

Reaction score
i think you would be completely fine with a 61 or 76 key keyboard. and i agree with musicman, a used yamaha motif or korg triton is probably the way to go!

Ask a Question