Connect Yamaha Digital Piano to Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface

Reaction score
Below are the output types Yamaha p125 has.
  • Headphones : Standard x 2
  • AUX OUT : [L/L+R] [R]
And the Scarlett 2i2 has
  • XLR ( 1/4") input jacks x 2
Is there a difference in audio quality between headphone and AUX output?

Will both XLR input jacks be used?

And what kind of cables I need to achieve this connection.

Reaction score
The P125 almost curely puts out an unbalanced, line-level signal on each 1/4" Line Out jack -- one Right, one Left.

Get two "guitar cables" -- formally, "TR" plug to "TR" plug. Run one from the Left line-out of the P125 to Input 1 of the Scarlett, run the other cable from the Right line-out of the P125 to Input 2 of the Scarlett.

. . . Make sure that the MIC switches are _off_ on the Scarlett.

That will work on the 2i2 Generation 3. I'm not sure if it will work on previous generations -- I remember something about there being only one "Line-level" input on some of the early Scarlett's.

. Charles

Reaction score
Are you are ignoring advice previously given on the 212?

The 212 is manufactured and marketed for a Mike and a Guitar, the 414 is the keyboard model.

Reaction score

The 212 is manufactured and marketed for a Mike and a Guitar, the 414 is the keyboard model.
I checked the specs of Scarlett 2i2 (3rd gen) and 4i4 (3rd gen). I couldn't find a difference in frequency range between the two models. Can you pls let me know the spec sheet you are referring to. That would be super helpful.

Reaction score
Did you read the text that goes with each model?

Specs may look the same but a keyboard and especially an 88 has a much wider dynamic range with harmonics than a guitar, hence you want a device which is designed for the task, a spec sheet only tells part of the story.

Its your cash buy what you want, I am done with this thread.

Reaction score

Specs may look the same but a keyboard and especially an 88 has a much wider dynamic range with harmonics than a guitar, hence you want a device which is designed for the task, a spec sheet only tells part of the story.

Are you referring to the additional 2 line level inputs in 4i4 which 2i2 doesn't have. Can you explain why it's better. I'm trying hard to learn something new here.

Reaction score
cpcohen

Biggles --

I think you're confusing the Scarlett Solo and the Scarlett 2i2. (I don't usually argue with you, but this is an exception.)

. . . The Scarlett Solo is designed for "Mic and Guitar".

. . . The Scarlett 2i2 has two "Mic / Line / Instrument" universal inputs.

. . . . That's all you need, for a P125 in stereo.

From the User Manual for the 2i2 version 2 ( https://fael-downloads-prod.focusri...downloads/7317/scarlett-2i2-user-guide-v2.pdf ):

The Front Panel includes the input connectors for Mic, Line and Instrument signals, as well as
the input gain and monitoring controls.
1. Inputs 1 & 2 – Combo XLR input sockets - connect microphones, instruments (e.g., guitar) or
line level signals
via XLR or ¼” (6.35 mm) jacks as appropriate
2. Gain 01 and Gain 02 - adjust the input gain for input signals on inputs 1 and 2 respectively. The
gain controls have concentric bi-colour LED ‘rings’ to confirm signal level: green indicates an
input level of at least -24 dBFS (i.e., ‘signal present’), the ring then turns red when signal level
reaches 0 dBFS
3. 48V - phantom power switch for mic inputs - enables +48 V phantom power at the XLR contacts
of both Combo connectors
4. LINE/INST - Line / Instrument level switches for each input – switches gain to suit instrument
or line level signals

I did make a mistake:

. . . There is no "Mic" switch;

. . . The "Line/Inst" switch should be in the "Line" position.

There is no hint, in anything on the Focusrite website, that the ADC's in the 2i2 are different than the ADC's in the 4i4. The 4i4 gets you more inputs, but for this P125 connection, you don't need them.

. Charles

Reaction score
cpcohen

Biggles --

I think you're confusing the Scarlett Solo and the Scarlett 2i2. (I don't usually argue with you, but this is an exception.)

. . . The Scarlett Solo is designed for "Mic and Guitar".

. . . The Scarlett 2i2 has two "Mic / Line / Instrument" universal inputs.

. . . . That's all you need, for a P125 in stereo.

From the User Manual for the 2i2 version 2 ( https://fael-downloads-prod.focusri...downloads/7317/scarlett-2i2-user-guide-v2.pdf ):
Thanks a lot. I've read a lot about this too.
2i2 has 2 line inputs (universal). And same specs as 4i4. I couldn't find anything that states, 4i4 is the better choice to record a keyboard or a digital piano.

I've ordered a 2i2 and still have the chance to shift to a 4i4, if it's better for digital piano recording.
SO YOUR HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED.

Reaction score

I've ordered a 2i2 and still have the chance to shift to a 4i4, if it's better for digital piano recording.
SO YOUR HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED.

Reaction score

I posted a question on Focusrite official site, and they confirmed between 2i2 and 4i4, 2i2 is the ideal decision for digital piano recording.

Attachments

• q.JPG
    q.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 489

Ask a Question