Connecting a Yamaha P-120 to Focusrite Clarett using 5pin midi cable

Reaction score
Greetings!
I'm trying to connect my keyboard to my DAW using my audio interface as the midi controller. Right now I have the midi out on the keyboard into the midi in on the interface. But nothing is working :(

Here's what I'm using:
Yamaha P-120 keyboard
Focusrite Clarett4preUSB audio interface (with midi I/O)
Windows 10
Reaper v6.20 DAW

I've downloaded the USB-MIDI driver for my keyboard from Yamaha here: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/umd_win64_kbd.html

I start with the Focusrite and Yamaha powered off. Then I turn on the Focusrite, then the keyboard a few seconds later. When I run the driver Setup.exe it giving me the following error:

"error: 25001. NO device is connected. Connect a device, and try again. If the "Found New Hardware" wizard appears, push the "Cancel" button."

This is the only prompt I'm receiving. Wondering what I should do next to get everything working. And advice is MUCH appreciated!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're connecting with a MIDI cable, you shouldn't need the Yamaha driver.

If you do need a USB-MIDI driver, it would need to be the driver for the USB device-- that is, for the USB audio interface. But I think the Focusrite is designed to be USB-MIDI class compliant, such that it doesn't need to use a proprietary driver of its own because it can use the default drivers which are part of Windows 10.

Have you already tried seeing if it works in REAPER? Note that it won't show up as a Yamaha keyboard; it should be showing up as whatever description the Focusrite uses for its MIDI connection.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply!

Right, I think I was getting thrown off by the whole driver thing. I suspected it might not be necessary with the midi cable.

YES! You were correct, in Reaper I simply had to enable the midi input and VIOLA!

Sorry to bother you for this slightly dumb question, but THANK YOU for your help!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It isn't a dumb question at all. It's an issue that a lot of people get confused about, so you're in good company.

I'm glad you got it working! :)

Ask a Question