Connecting Clavinova (live) AND Android tablet (MIDI backup arrangements) TO sound module

Reaction score
I have a MIDI y-cable, 2 in, 1 out. I may buy a Ketron SD2 if I can set this up.
Using channel 1 for the piano, and the other 15 (or 31) MIDI channels for a sequencer app on the Android, can I send patch commands from an Android 10-key app to MIDI channel 1, to use sound module tones played from the piano to channel 1? Or is there a better way using any equally compact setup besides an 8" tablet and a 5" by 5" sound module?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to answer your question, because I'm not sure how the Y-cable works.

If it merges the MIDI data of two MIDI INs and transmits the merged data to a MIDI OUT, then yes, you should be able to use one MIDI IN to send MIDI Note On/Off messages to a sound module, and use the other MIDI IN to send Bank Select, Program Change, Control Change, and other types of messages for choosing the patches you want the sound module to play and-- depending on which Control Change messages the sound module responds to-- modify the parameters of the chosen patch.

Ask a Question