Connecting MIDI controller to Korg Triton Question

Reaction score
This is my first post so hopefully, I am in the right spot. I am a newbie with MIDI controllers and need some advice. I have a Korg Triton Xtreme that I bought 10-15 years ago and it isn't working very well anymore. Mainly when trying to switch sounds or from combination mode to global or program mode. Nobody in Phoenix wants to repair it and it may not be worth repairing. Recently an engineer suggested I purchase a MIDI controller in order to bypass the Triton and access the sounds I needed directly from the controller. I play about 4 songs live in a band and recently when I try to switch from one sound to another I can't! I called Sweetwater but they weren't really sure if the MIDI controller could do that or not. Does anyone have experience with this? I mean is it possible to hook the controller to the Triton and assign the sounds from the Triton to the controller pads or buttons so I could easily switch back and forth between instruments? Does it vary between controllers?? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It sounds 100% doable, WITH the correct controller.

Do your homework before buying, watch a few how to videos and you should be good to go.

If you ask for specific recommendations we can go over the pros and cons with you here.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me Gary! I am struggling to locate any how-to videos yet but I am at the tip of the iceberg! Good to know that only certain MIDI controllers are going to accomplish what I am trying to do. I almost bought one and ASSumed!! I will keep digging!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The first thing to look for is a board with DIN MIDI ports as well as USB. It HAS to have DIN.

Secondly. See reviews on controller configuration dos and don'ts.

Will it automap to a Triton Whatever, and stuff like that.

See a short list of controllers on a website like Sweetwater and watch some video reviews to get a better idea.

All controllers are NOT created equal... :p

Happy hunting :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question