connecting to a computer

Reaction score
When i buy a cheapie keyboard it wil probably have one or two round midi sockets (5 pin DIN ?). (no USB)
i have a cable with two round plugs and a 15 pin socket and plug.
do i need anything else to connect it to a computer.
software etc
I assume for midi etc.
thanks

Reaction score
it depends on how you want to do your recordings. The easiest way is to plug your keyboard in your LINE IN on your PC sound card

Reaction score
thanks
is this how i would transfer midi recording s TO the keyboard?
oh- it is a laptop computer-no access to sound card

Reaction score
hi guys

I know nothing and I was looking for a place like this to gain some information as a rookie.

Generally speaking I know nothing about sync and keyboards in general I am looking for some information before I decide to buy, just to help me make my mind.

The issue here - connecting to laptop is essential, since I am planning to play and produce techno, ethno-house, chillout or any other genre of electronic music as I learn.

I am curious if there is a chance that I can buy the wrong keyboard that cannot be connected to a laptop, in terms - what out it has to have in order to connect. And how do I connect it, using what cable etc.

Thanks for your answer in advance!
Take care

Reaction score
thanks
is this how i would transfer midi recording s TO the keyboard?
oh- it is a laptop computer-no access to sound card

No. You can connect your keyboard to PC/Laptop by using USB cable
(if your keyboard has the USB to Host port), and you can only send
MIDI signals FROM the keyboard TO your PC. For example - recording something via MIDI. You CAN'T send MIDI files back to your keyboard this way.

If your keyboard has USB to Device, it means you can plug in some kind of USB memory stick into your keyboard. You can transfer anything that way. Midi files, backing sequences, styles, sounds, samples (if your keyboard supports all of that).

Then, you can connect your keyboard to your PC via MIDI cables if you have a MIDI adapter installed on your PC.

And finally, there's the most simple way to connect your keyboard to any PC/laptop - By using your sound card. One end of the cable goes into your keyboard's OUTPUT or EARPHONES, and the other on your sound card's LINE IN.

This way you can ONLY record your playing... nothing else.

So to summerise... If you want to transfer MIDI files onto your keyboard you'll need either some sort of card (SmartMedia is used on Yamaha keyboards), USB memory stick or the old floppy disk system.

Not all keyboards have these options... especially not the low entry models

Reaction score
connect keyboard to laptop

I have a cable with two 5 pin din? plugs on one end and 15 pin plug & Socket on the other end.
the laptop as USB but no 15 pin socket!
what do i do.
i expect i will buy the yamaha E313 keyboard.
the cheapie one wont let me play chords when the raccompanyment is going!

Reaction score
I have a cable with two 5 pin din? plugs on one end and 15 pin plug & Socket on the other end.
the laptop as USB but no 15 pin socket!
what do i do.
i expect i will buy the yamaha E313 keyboard.
the cheapie one wont let me play chords when the raccompanyment is going!

Those are MIDI cables,and you need a MIDI adapter on your PC/laptop to plug in your keyboard that way...

But like I said... if you just want to RECORD your playing, take a regular cable, plug one end in the keyboard's output or earphones output, and the other end in your sound card LINE in (both PC and laptops have one).

After that, setup your computer to record from "LINE IN" and you're redy to do your recording. File will be saved in .wav or .mp3 format... depends on what software you are using

Ask a Question