Considering a MIDI controller keyboard

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question; but I'll ask it anyway. You see, what I would really like is the best of all worlds and never have to touch cables. ;)

I already have three keyboards which could be used as controllers; but what I want is to be able to control my Korg TR Rack with either a keyboard or the DAW software on my PC - without losing any of the voices I have access to (on my keyboards) and without having to change 'modes' anywhere. Like I said, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

So I've been checking out controller keyboards of various kinds from all the big players, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, M-Audio, etc. and I haven't seen any of them that have a built-in 'MIDI-THRU' capability. I do understand that if there are no on-board 'voices' to drive there aren't many reasons to have a MIDI-IN; but....

Have any of you seen (or heard of) a voice-less keyboard with all three MIDI ports (In/Out/Thru)?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
As always Gary, a big help (and thanks)! Man, that Studiologic board is wonderful, and if I didn't already have an 88-key board I might even consider it. I'm looking carefully at some of the Novation options, since it looks like most (if not all) of the 'SL' models have the capability I'm looking for.

Thanks again lad. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Nice job as always Ron. If I might make a suggestions though, try it with a vibrato flute instead of the choir oohs for the vocal part. I think that would really click.

Gary

Reaction score
Actually I tried many different 'voices' for the - er - 'voice' part (including a couple of different flutes), and just wasn't able to make 'em work. Of course, I do have a few hundred others I didn't try; but.... :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try the Flute Vibrato on the Korg TR Rack. I think it's A30 or A34 or somewhere around there. I'm sure it would make the tune pop :)

Gary

Reaction score
I'll do that Gary.

I just today 'discovered' that my SP250 has a MIDI In port. I was messing about with cables (to drive the TR with the SP250) and voila! The piano voices on the SP are the best I've got, and now I shall be using them! :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yo Ron!

I'm responding here because private profile messages are limited to 420 characters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weird. I'd assumed that the TR Rack was identical in function to my TR76.

I just double checked my voice list for the TR (Too lazy to uncover and fire up the rig :) ) Anyway it is definitely Program A030 Flute Vibrato.

It's not a Combi patch but a single program patch in case there's any confusion there.

And AFAIK Korg has kept this patch list consistent on models ranging from the Triton LE to the Korg TR Keyboards to the latest X50 patch lists. I've verified this in the past by using Cakewalk INS files for each interchangeably with my TR.

Double check to make sure you're in program mode and not combi mode. If it still doesn't show then I'm stumped. :(

Gary

Reaction score
Okay. It was definitely in program mode, so I'm thinking the previous owner had loaded up an alternate set of patches on this rig. Not a big problem, as I have the OE patches I can load. I'll definitely save this set of patches first, as it has some really nice stuff in it. ;)

I'll keep ya posted.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I really like it. I listened to the two versions back to back and I think the flute really works for the vocal track. It also sounds like you punched up the clarinet and the strings in the bridge and ending a bit.

It really works for me. How about yourself? Do ya think it's better now or before?

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I didn't recognize the original so I looked it up on Grooveshark. I have to say I prefer your instrumental version over Hall's original :)

Reaction score
Well thanks Gary; but that was a real quickie. Heard it yesterday, worked out the chords, found that uber-cool keyboard and strings on the Trinity rack, pressed record. :) I may decide to work on a more refined version of it ('cause I love the chords). :)

Reaction score
Oh... and back on the original topic. I'm hoping to pickup a PCR500 in an hour or so. ;)

Not that I don't love driving the TR with my SP250; but I can't really control anything with the SP.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own an M-Audio Oxygen 49 and an M-Audio Venom. Keyboard action sucks on both of them. Velocity sensitivity is so useless you have to turn it off. Personally I don't recommend M-Audio Keys to anyone. I use the Venom with my TR as a controller and the Oxygen is strictly for farts and giggles when I'm on my laptop so I can live with em but definitely don't recommend them.

Then again I also own some M-Audio powered monitors and a couple of SP-2 pedals. No major complaints about either of those. Their keyboard actions really suck though.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Consider them struck from list. Got my eye on an Edirol/Roland PC50. Gotta do some research; but I think it'll do what I want to do. Really not concerned about interfacing with the DAW, just allowing me to 'control' the TR Rack (program changes, etc.) from something other than the front panel buttons and send note data from either the DAW sequencer or the keyboard.

Ask a Question