Considering MX61 - juggling factory and user setups from usb

Reaction score
I am considering an MX61 as a backup/supplement to my Kurzweil PC361 for live playing and to get into home computer recording. I skimmed the manuals trying to determine if and how I would save user performances (w/edited voices) while still retaining the factory user performances available if I want - realizing there are only the 128 user performance slots; filled with factory performances.

The manual sort of confused me because it indicates you can only load an “all” file from the root directory of the USB flash drive. Does this mean one would have to edit performances and then save a file out than contains all performances as a set for loading onto all 128 slots—but it also appears that specific performances can be saved and loaded?

One of my goals is to have saved user performances (with tweaked voices) for quite a few different cover songs or jazz playing on my own (probably use all 128 available). Appears that MX61 one must load/overwrite some or all of the factory user performances to play my own user performances live from the board. To not lose the factory ones I’d like to confirm I can save them out first to the USB drive if I want to recall specific ones later – along with a mix of my own within the 128 slots. I will also be editing the voices parameters and assume this would be done first in a similar fashion (would also like to be able to save the factory voice setups to optionally restore later – and build a library of my own on the thumb drive).

If I can do the above and develop a system to retain factory voices/performances for recall and also have my own to juggle in the 128 slots live I am going to pull the trigger on buying one. Sorry if these are dumb questions as I have limited experience in programming and borrowed a friend’s MX61 but did not want to save any voicings or performances on his board.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you look on page 15 of the Owner's Manual, there is an option to reset all of the User Memory to the factory defaults. Since this will wipe out anything that had been saved to the User Memory, you'll want to be sure you've saved the User Memory to an ".X5A" file before doing the reset-- unless you don't care about any of the contents of the User Memory.

Ask a Question