Converting Sound File to Sheet Music

Reaction score
I understand there is software out there that can convert a sound file into sheet music. My interest is that the sheet music I have for Vince Guaraldi's Christmas Time Is Here has a lead in very different from what he recorded. My piano teacher and I have tried to determine what he was playing, have gotten close, but it still just doesn't sound as good (allowing the for the fact that Guaraldi was a performer/composer far beyond my abilities).

Is anybody familiar with the software that can solve this problem? Thanks.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Trying to convert an MP3 recording into MIDI data can be a tricky process, and the accuracy of the results depends heavily on the nature of the recording-- e.g., a single instrument versus two or more instruments that have different timbres, as well as a monophonic melody versus a polyphonic composition, and (if it's polyphonic) whether the polyphony is fairly simple or more complex, etc. In some cases it's possible to get excellent results, but in other cases it could be nearly impossible to get accurate results.

Another possibility might be to use audio software that can perform a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) analysis and display the frequencies detected in the recording. If you do this for specific parts of the lead-in, you might be able to compare the detected frequencies against the notes you think are being played, and make adjustments as needed. I use NCH MixPad for that sort of thing, but if you have a DAW then you can probably find a VST plugin for doing FFT analysis.

Ask a Question