Converting to Apple From PC. Need DAW recommendations.

Reaction score
Possibly, but Apple cleans the window for you, Microsoft just hands you a cloth to do it yourself :)

Reaction score
I am looking to update my old steam powered Windows PC, it was a home build by myself based around an Intel 980x CPU which is now not supported by Microsoft so it will not run Windows 11, it cost me £2000 in components way back in 2008. It did the job but now it struggles and especially it no longer likes Flight Simulator (I don't just read the Biggles books, I liked to fly), hence I need a big beefy machine to give me plenty of power for the sim and all the image manipulation and video editing I also like to do. The result is I am stuck with a Windows PC.

Today CPU, MOBO, RAM, SSD & CPU fan add up to over £1700 and I still have to build it myself.

So Windows PC’s ain’t cheap either,

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
A high-powered computer with plenty of speed, memory, ports, and storage is going to cost an arm and a leg no matter which OS you go with.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've been spoiled.

For the last 25 years I've been running FREE (as in BEER) software.

Nagware, adware and shovelware were not in my vocabulary.

Unfortunately with the rise in popularity of open source software, they've become bloated and sloppy codewriters.

"Long term releases" are now only supported for 2 years.

At this point, even Linus Torvalds no longer understands his own kernel.

Why can't software writers focus on writing more secure code instead of flashier bells and whistles?

Now I have to struggle to navigate this upside down, inverted mac OS all the while being pestered for my freaking credit card every 5 minutes. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A high-powered computer with plenty of speed, memory, ports, and storage is going to cost an arm and a leg no matter which OS you go with.
Except for a Mac, you have to sever limbs to afford an ultra fast machine.

On one configuration it added up to £30,000

3ECDCAEF-D3B6-49A6-B708-D93C5A1E378C.jpeg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've installed SOLITAIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

(WHOOHOO!!! YIPPEE!!!!!!!)

I mean this operating system is so primitive and non configurable it's not funny.

In the middle of the dock there's iTunes and iTV and the app store, but they couldn't even include minesweeper or solitaire?

Why do people put up with this kind of mercenary, monopolistic profiteering?

This offends my Marxist sensibilities. ;)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ok, much to absorb.

Thanks again guys.

Now, seriously, is applecare worth the money or is it harder to make a claim than squeezing honey out of a turnip?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
10 years zero payments to Apple for support.

When we had problems we opened a chat and they helped. No more than a hand full of times, biggest issue was after an update to the OS changing an image size of our Photos meant menu diving, still have to do this but at the time we could not find how tomchange the size from pea to something we could see. Have a play around and you will see it in action, its still a pain.

Only once did they have to take control remotely and solve the problem, which was a new printer driver not installing.

Reaction score
I’d be inclined to say for a laptop, yes, for a desktop, not so much.
Never needed any support from Apple on a software level but Applecare covers hardware, too, and may (or may not) come in handy…

I bought my latest MB Pro from the biggest Apple Certified dealer in Belgium (as I do a lot of my stuff) and they offer something similar to Applecare, which I opted in for).
Price is similar to Applecare but they offer more coverage for hardware issues, of any kind.
Suppose I drop it, or spill coffee on it, or it gets stolen, I get a brand new spanking machine for just 50 euros. For a machine that cost 3500 euro, I thought that was worth it…
It’s also my work computer, it’s not just for personal hobbies…

Reaction score
Good grief.

I looked at the price of including a more powerful GPU in my forthcoming re-build.

Prices have gone mad.

0CA96942-59D1-4ACF-9179-50A6B3C9975D.png

At this rate I am going to spend more on a new PC to run Flight Simulator than I did on actually learning to Fly.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's my understanding that apple warrants the hardware for a year with applecare thrown in for the first two months or so.

How much does your mac's applecare cost per month, and can it extend the warranty indefinitely?

Coming to grips with Logic Pro this weekend.

No trouble recording from hardware midi and audio, but editing requires memorizing 10 pages of keyboard commands.

I've found a few cheatsheets online.Ditto for MacOS X.

This is a job that demands stronger Pot! :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Applecare is around 249 euro (can be higher or lower depending on the type of machine you bought), valid for three years from date of purchase. If you subscribe to Apple Care at a later date, it still won't last you longer than three years from the date of purchase of the Mac.
Furthermore, you have until 364 days after your date of purchase to decide whether you want Applecare or not. The day your Mac reaches 1 year of age, it'll be too late to buy Applecare for it.
Regardless, if you get Applecare on day 364, you will be able to enjoy it for exactly 2 years and 1 day :)

Reaction score
Why are you faffing around with Applecare, the middle Mini is only £849 so to me it is hardly worth it spending another 30% of its cost on something that we have not needed ourselves in over 10 years.

If we have a software problem I just started a chat, they always helped.

Sometimes the online information is like a keyboard manual, it is written in Klingon and it does not necessarily relate to the OS version.

Only hardware issue we had was with a Printer after Apple updated their OS, our printer then failed to work, Epson did not update the driver, rang Epson and got told “it is three years old what more you expect”. Dumped it and bought a Canon, seven years later it still works just fine.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
So, two contrary opinions, each making valid points.

If it's a one time payment, it's steep, but on pricey items I like to make sure my investment is protected.

3 years coverage would do a lot to set my mind at ease.

I'll have to check on the Canadian price for my mini before I make a final decision.

Fortunately I still have plenty of time to commit.

Let's face it. The equity markets have been brutal this past year and inflation is chewing up my savings so the good times are over and we're all looking at tightening our belts these days.

I need to make sure I'm getting value for the money.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've just been informed that I require Mainstage if I want to route my MIDI without firing up Logic, so that was a Duh Moment.

It inspired me to write the Apple Song...

EVERYONE SING ALONG :D

Once, upon a time, long ago,
I lived my life carefree,
Not a debt to my name,
No troubles yet, to see,

Then she came,
Into my life,
The whore of Babylon,
Her ruby lips would lie to me..
Apple was her name.

She'd take me down to the Apple store,
And thus began my shame...

>refrain<

OH Apple's a whore, oh Apple's a whore,
She'll roll ya quick at the company store...
Never enough, she'll always want more..
I lost my wages at the Apple store..

(c)2023 Gary G.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Still producing music in spite of Logic Pro X and apple's insane interface.

NOT recorded on the Apple... :p

Recorded and mastered on the Tascam...

improv-mar-6-23

Gary ;)

Ask a Question