Copy voice from MOXF synth to PSR-SX700

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new PSR-SX700. I'd like to copy a custom voice I have on my MOXF6 synth to the SX700. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I suppose I could record samples of every key, for all 3 parts of the MOFX voice and then rebuild it piece by piece in Yamaha Expansion Manager, right? I do hope there is a less painful way to do this :)

Reaction score
The MOXF voice files have very limited compatability with other machines in the Motif family, however they are not compatable with the PSR series machines.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Sampling the original voice from the MOXF and using the Yamaha Expansion Manager to create your own custom voice for the PSR-SX from the samples is the only possible way that I know to do this. You could check out the sampling utilities at the following websites to see what sorts of programs they offer, or you could try some other program:

Dedicated sampling programs such as these are designed to take the pain out of making your own samples, but it's still going to be a pretty labor-intensive task, especially when it comes time to load the samples into the Yamaha Expansion Manager to create a custom voice. And keep in mind that you won't be importing the original MOXF voices into the PSR-SX, but just audio recordings of them, so you won't be able to modify their parameters the way you can on the MOXF.

Reaction score
I'd like to copy a custom voice I have on my MOXF6 synth to the SX700...I suppose I could record samples of every key, for all 3 parts of the MOFX voice
What exactly do you mean by a custom voice? A stock MOXF6 voice that you edited? A MOXF6 voice that uses your own custom sample loaded onto its optional flash expansion card? Or, since you talked about it having 3 parts, did you mean a Performance rather than a Voice? If the last, which 3 Voices did you use to create the Performance? You might find very similar sounding Voices in the PSR.

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by a custom voice? A stock MOXF6 voice that you edited? A MOXF6 voice that uses your own custom sample loaded onto its optional flash expansion card? Or, since you talked about it having 3 parts, did you mean a Performance rather than a Voice? If the last, which 3 Voices did you use to create the Performance? You might find very similar sounding Voices in the PSR.

I've installed all three the PSC Songwritters Packs from here:
BTW: These sounds are awesome and really make the MOXF shine.
These packs do not add any wave data, just modifications to the synth/awm parameters of the built in voices.

My Performance is made up of the following voices from PSC:
PSC Full Conc Grand 5b
PSC All For You

PSC Full Conc Grand 5b can be fairly easily recreated, its differences from some of the stock SX700 piano sounds are minimal.

PSC All For You is made up of the following MOXF waves:
1. Glockensp Pre CP 0249
2. Brass Bell Pre CP 0325
3. VP String Pre WV 1322

I am unable to reproduce any of those elements satisfactorily on the SX700. So I guess I'd need to sample all three of those. Or perhaps just sample the Performance itself.

I'd happily provide a sample song I've recorded if anyone is interested but the forum will not alow uploads of MP3/wav. And when I tried to zip the file, the forum says its too large.

I'm starting to think I should return the SX700, get the MODX6 and sell my MOXF6. I'll save cash, and get a much nicer UI for recording and music production. I'll also get even more sounds.... But I've actually found some really nice sounds on the SX700 that I like. GAGHHHHH!!!! I simply cannot buy ALL THE KEYBOARDS... My wallet can not take it! How does everyone cope with the fact that every synth/keyboard has different awesome sounds?? :)

Reaction score
Ah, I see. Even if the same waves are actually in the PSR (which they may or may not be), the PSR does not provide Motif-style editing access to them, so yeah, sampling looks like the only possibility, which can have its own constraints, but is worth a shot. There are a number of auto-sampling programs. Off-hand, Extreme Sample Converter is PC, Auto Sampler (in Mainstage) is Mac, and SampleRobot and Samplit are cross-platform. I think all but Mainstage have free demos.

And yes, the fact that so many boards (even from the same manufacturer, to say nothing of ones from different manufacturers) have completely different great things about them means you do have to cope with not having some of what you want. Just like with most other things, really. But acquiring multiple keyboards is a lot cheaper than multiple cars. Or multiple wives.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If you were to sample each of the three elements separately, then import them into Yamaha Expansion Manager as separate voices, you should be able to combine them (layer them together) on the PSR-SX and edit their various parameters as individual voices, which would give you the greatest control over how you can modify them.

But sampling the performance as a single voice would definitely be less work, although the resulting PSR-SX voice would not be nearly as flexible.

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I've decided to return the SX700 and instead purchase a MODX6. I will miss the built in speakers, and some of the cool sounds from the SX700 but I think the MODX will serve me better in the end. I'm just getting into music production and I feel like the MODX has far greater capability in this area, it has a USB audio interface, as well as even more sounds to play around with. And the MODX is actually $100 cheaper than the SX700.

Does anyone know if the PSC SongWriter's packs that I've used on the MOFX will work with the MODX? They are X4V files, fwiw.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
And the MODX is actually $100 cheaper than the SX700.

That seems a bit surprising, doesn't it, considering that the MODX is a more powerful "synth" whereas the PSR-SX is an "arranger"?

Does anyone know if the PSC SongWriter's packs that I've used on the MOFX will work with the MODX? They are X4V files, fwiw.

I don't know if they're fully compatible; but if they aren't, you might be able to convert them. I imagine Yamaha was hoping that a lot of MOXF owners would upgrade to a MODX (if they hadn't already upgraded to a Montage), so it would have been in Yamaha's best interests to design the MODX such that it can use people's existing MOXF voices and performances-- even if some sort of conversion might be needed to reformat them for the MODX.

Ask a Question