Coronavirus logistics.

Reaction score
Shopping for groceries is a chore!

Online grocery is booked solid for the next two weeks.

Supermarkets here in the UK introduce Senior Citizens only for the first hour of trading.

Now my local Supermarket opens at 07:00.

It easily takes me 1/2 to get out of bed

1/2 hour in the bathroom

1/2 hour sorting out and eating breakfast

1/2 hour unloading and loading the dishwasher

1/4 hour sorting and taking medications

1/4 hour taking the dog around the block

1/2 to drive to the Supermarket, park, find a trolley that will take my £1 coin to release its lock.

So by my crude math I shall have to set the alarm for 4:00, !!!!!! crikes, I have not been up that early for twenty years.

Yep, really looking forward to that and to battling the other oldies and their walking aids just to get to the toilet rolls before they do.

Its war out there.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Trudeau rolled out $30 Billion in aid today. Banks are deferring mortgage payments up to 6 months without penalty here.

The Orange Idiot shut down the US/Canadian border today.

We're not at each other's throats yet, but if it's time for Mad Max at least there are plenty of dogs in my apartment building I can eat :)

Stay healthy, stay strong Col. If you see any terminators from the future tell them Sarah Conner lives in Hollywood. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Trudeau rolled out $30 Billion in aid today. Banks are deferring mortgage payments up to 6 months without penalty here.

The Orange Idiot shut down the US/Canadian border today.

We're not at each other's throats yet, but if it's time for Mad Max at least there are plenty of dogs in my apartment building I can eat :)

Stay healthy, stay strong Col. If you see any terminators from the future tell them Sarah Conner lives in Hollywood. :)

Gary ;)
Just watched Boris the Bad give what is now the daily Coronavirus briefing.

All schools will close from Friday except for the children of key workers and children who are vulnerable themselves ( no definition as to what those are )

BTW

I thought Sarah Connor lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
My wife set the clock for 6 am yesterday. We put our breaky on hold 'til we got home.
We were down to our last few rolls of dunny paper and really had no choice since the shelves have been empty for a couple of weeks now.

One of the independent grocers did not advertise the early start for seniors so my clever wife got the heads up and we arrived at the shop at 6:55am. Just 6 other people were there. We ended up with a 32 roll pack and some other items. We were home having breakfast at 6:45 am.

We see in the news that the other BIG supermarkets had huge crowds of oldies queuing and missing out. LOL. . .☺

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Government here is opening up the financial taps. A total of $82 Billion in handouts and tax deferments over the months to come.

Schools here have been shut down since last Friday.

Likewise all recreational areas, museums, theaters, gymnasiums have been shut down as well as any public gatherings over 50 people. Restaurants are only allowed to remain open for takeout and delivery, no sit down dining allowed.

I think bars and pubs are facing similar rules if they sell food.

As of today US-Canada border is closed to all tourist and recreational traffic allowing only the supply chain of goods and services to pass.

And at this particular instance in time the TSX has shed 50% of its value and continues to drop like a stone.

I honestly have no idea why the stock exchanges are allowed to remain open at this time. With everyone losing their jobs and their financial shirts it's grossly unfair to allow a few cash rich bottom feeders to profit from our misery.

They should have shut down the second the circuit breakers kicked in last Friday and remained so for the foreseeable future.

If Covid-19 doesn't kill me the heart attack from watching my retirement fund go down the toilet surely will. :p :p :p

In the meantime I'm currently sequencing my own funeral march to pass the time while I keep my social distance from my neighbours.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While it's understandable that Australia is facing actual shortages of toilet paper the ridiculous fact is that North American supermarkets are selling out of sh*t tickets as well.

In Australia you import most of your paper products from China but here in Canada and the US suppliers assure us they are in absolutely no danger of running short.

Somehow though, Australian hysteria over bog wipes has managed to infect the rest of the world quicker than Covid-19.

Our local politicians are at a loss to explain the phenomenon but it remains a fact that we are herd animals when it comes to stampeding over highly visible cliffs. :p

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Gary,
Not quite right what you say . .
Firstly we are not in short supply of dunny paper. We produce it here. Our forests produce paper pulp in abundance. Our toilet paper factories are working full pace to keep up the demand. The supermarkets and shops are getting daily deliveries.

The shortage is due to panic buying and stock piling. The Chinese people living here started the panic buy in January. They were sending the rolls to their families in China creating the panic here. They also buy up all of our baby formula and send that overseas.

There is a real stigma here against Chinese people. We Aussies blame them for creating this mess.

They have a lot to answer for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Shopping for groceries is a chore!

Online grocery is booked solid for the next two weeks.

Supermarkets here in the UK introduce Senior Citizens only for the first hour of trading.

Now my local Supermarket opens at 07:00.

It easily takes me 1/2 to get out of bed

1/2 hour in the bathroom

1/2 hour sorting out and eating breakfast

1/2 hour unloading and loading the dishwasher

1/4 hour sorting and taking medications

1/4 hour taking the dog around the block

1/2 to drive to the Supermarket, park, find a trolley that will take my £1 coin to release its lock.

So by my crude math I shall have to set the alarm for 4:00, !!!!!! crikes, I have not been up that early for twenty years.

Yep, really looking forward to that and to battling the other oldies and their walking aids just to get to the toilet rolls before they do.

Its war out there.

Like you - there is only one 7.00 and it's not before breakfast!! I'd rather do 10.00pm!!

Reaction score
I live in a small City in England and we have just had to go into the City Centre for my Wife to pick up a new pair of glasses.

It is business as usual everywhere, very few seem to be taking heed of the advice we are being given.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I live in the suburbs of Canada's largest mega city.

I have enough supplies to last me another week.

I'm planning to go out next week and shop after the hysteria has died down and the stores have had a chance to restock.

Meanwhile I'm sitting in my living room listening to and playing along with a blues station on net radio.

I'm looking at the positives.

With social distancing it's a great time to stay home and practice my music.

If anyone out there is looking for someone to jam with during the lockdowns there's a couple of services out there that allow you to hold virtual jam sessions with other locked down souls.

Basically you install the software and either join a server nearby or set up your own server/jam session and other people can start jamming along with you.

I believe it pings servers when you join so you can choose one that's not too laggy.

I tried these out ten years ago and even with a 5 mbit connection the quality and latency were pretty good.

With the advancements in speed and bandwidth these days the situation can only have improved.

One other nice thing about these programs. They are OS agnostic so they run on Windows, Linux and Mac machines.

Enjoy :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
46A7AE29-EFB1-4411-AF9A-167D707A4A42.jpeg

Bondi Beach

Are these folks brain dead or what?

It has made News here in the UK today that the Aussie laid back lifestyle sometimes can be a little too laid back.

A while later after the Police clear the beach things are different but just where the folks have gone to is another matter.

981C74E4-5809-4C17-BA8A-C29D75EF9C05.jpeg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You think that's crazy?

Ft Lauderdale in Florida is holding it's annual Spring Break with Teens and College Kids from all over the US Partying like it's 1999.

Hashtag #boomerremover

Screw the little thugs. I'm rewriting my will to leave all my money to homeless cats :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
View attachment 1772

Bondi Beach

Are these folks brain dead or what?

It has made News here in the UK today that the Aussie laid back lifestyle sometimes can be a little too laid back.

A while later after the Police clear the beach things are different but just where the folks have gone to is another matter.

View attachment 1773
Idiots, one and all.

Prompted a harsh response from a very annoyed Prime Minister.

Reaction score
On our News today it is looking likely that enforcement powers are being introduced via a very rushed Bill.

By next weekend I fully expect the whole of the UK to be on full mandatory lockdown.

Stay safe folks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I went out for some essential groceries today. Milk, bread, eggs, etc...

Masks are in short supply in this country but fortunately I have a box of neoprene disposable gloves I keep for messy jobs. I wore those in the store.

Inside the staff were spraying and wiping down the carts and people were well behaved and keeping their distance.

The initial panic buying spree has seemingly died down and the aisles were well stocked.

On Wednesday I plan to go out again for a major shop.

Social distancing is the new normal in Canada and everybody seems to be pitching in.

The first province to enact quarantine enforcement laws seems to be New Brunswick as of today.

I think we're approaching or have passed 1400 cases in Canada with 19 deaths so far.

Considering how much flak he receives from the opposition I think Trudeau is doing a hell of a good job keeping us from killing each other.

South of the border, I cringe at the mismanagement and lack of solidarity among the 50 states and their hodgepodge of rules. They seem more concerned with saving the economy than the people.

Priorities? Am I right? ;)

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You sure are right Gary.

My Mrs just showed me an image of a Supermarket just before it opened, the crowd outside looked like a major Sports Event.

Our Seaside and National Park are being swamped with visitors.

Our National Trust that owns vast tracts of land and country houses and the estates are closing them all down because they are being swamped with visitors.

Idiots travelled 250 miles from South of London to North Wales to climb in the mountains then had to call upon the local Mountain Rescue to retrieve one of the idiots who had got into difficulty.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've been getting stuff like this in my inbox all week long.

Dear customers,

The crisis caused by the pandemic has taken on unprecedented proportions. With containment measures, the closure of many public places, and social distancing, our lives have been significantly affected. More than ever, we need to ensure our safety and that of our loved ones.

With our vast network of food stores and pharmacies, METRO is ready and we are doubling up our efforts to continue to serve you well and to ensure you are safe in our stores.

Our supply chain is strong

Our teams have worked and are continuing to work tirelessly to maintain the availability of all food, medication and over-the-counter health products. Our supply chain is robust and is functioning well. We are working with our suppliers to ensure a continuous supply. There are still some issues on a few products, but the situation is improving.

We are committed to offering you competitive prices and specials that you are used to seeing in our weekly flyers. But we are also paying special attention to product availability so as not to disappoint you, should an item be out of stock when you visit our stores.

Everyone’s health and safety are always at the heart of our decisions

We are implementing new measures in our network of stores and pharmacies every day to ensure the safety of our employees and our customers. We want to offer you a clean, safe and pleasant environment. Here are some of the most recent measures:

• Our business hours have been reduced. This will give our employees a well- deserved break and enable us to restock shelves safely.
  • Our stores continue to be cleaned on a regular basis according to very high standards of hygiene, and we are increasing the frequency of our equipment cleaning rounds, particularly in high traffic areas of the store.
  • As of Monday, in many of our grocery stores in Ontario, we have reserved the first hour of shopping, from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m., exclusively for seniors and more vulnerable customers.
  • We are starting to install Plexiglass shields at the checkouts and floor stickers at check-out lines and other high traffic areas to ensure customers comply with the social distancing rules of keeping 1 to 2 metres apart.
  • Our cash registers now allow contactless payment up to $250 for most credit cards, to reduce keypad handling.
  • Among other things, we have closed our bulk counters, soup bars, olive bars and bread-slicers.
  • Our stores are now applying a limit for in-store traffic to respect the rules of social distancing at all times.

A big Thank you to our employees

It is important to recognize the remarkable efforts of our employees and ensure that they have peace of mind during this exceptional period:

• The wages of employees working in our stores and distribution centres will be increased retroactively by $2 per hour, from March 8 to May 2.
  • We are offering our employees an additional benefit ensuring an income replacement rate equivalent to 95% of their wages in case of isolation.
  • In the coming days, we will also be offering an Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) to all colleagues in our stores, distribution centres and offices to provide them with the support and advice they need.

Our pharmacists are there for you, even at home

Our pharmacists have your well-being at heart and will continue to advise you. As front-line health-care professionals, pharmacists are directly accessible to answer your health-related questions. However, if you experience symptoms related to COVID-19, please stay home and contact your pharmacist by phone. He or she can direct you to the right resources.

You can also refill your medication remotely, either by phone, on the web or through a mobile application. A delivery service is offered by most Jean Coutu and Brunet affiliated pharmacies.

Fewer unnecessary trips are better

We encourage you to make good use of our grocery stores and pharmacies by consolidating your purchases to limit your trips. Designate only one person in your household to do the shopping. These are simple ways to reduce traffic in our establishments and ensure that social distancing measures are respected.

Online groceries

Our metro.ca online grocery service is proving to be extremely popular. New delivery windows we open fill up quickly to meet growing demand. We are continuing to increase our online grocery capacity to serve the people in our communities who need it most. But we ask that you use this service responsibly as well.

Like you, we don’t know how long this pandemic will last. We do know, however, that the pandemic is changing our lives and bringing with it a great deal of concern. As for us, we will take care of you by continuing to offer the food items, drug and other prescriptions, and products that you need in our grocery stores and pharmacies.

Our promise to serve you better every day would not be possible without the outstanding work of our employees. We are very proud of them and I ask that you be patient with them. They are making exceptional efforts every day.

In conclusion, thank you for your loyalty and trust. We are honoured to serve you and to contribute to the best of our ability to this collective effort.

signature

Eric La Flèche

Président et Chef de la direction

Every gesture counts

Here is a checklist to ensure your safety and that of our employees:

1. Follow the guidelines issued by government authorities.

2. If you have any symptoms, do not go to a store or pharmacy. You can call your pharmacist for advice.

3. Avoid shopping in a group or with your family. Have a designated shopper and limit your trips.

4. If you are unable to shop, ask someone else to do it for you.

5. Respect the rules of social distancing before and during your shopping, and at the checkout.

6. Avoid over-handling products and buy only what you need.

7. Pay with credit or debit cards, if possible.

8. If you can’t get to a store or pharmacy, check out the online grocery services or delivery services offered by many grocery stores or pharmacies.

9. Be patients with other customers and employees that you encounter along the way.

Thank you for your collaboration!

I have to say people are reacting quickly and appropriately so far.

Nobody wants to become another Italy :eek:

Gary ;)

Ask a Question