Cost of Lessons in your area?

Reaction score
I visited one of my local music store this morning. It's been there 22 years so it's established. Spoke briefly with the owner about private lessons. Here my metrics.

Town...Dana Point, California USA
Hourly lesson USD $80 / $40 1/2 HR

What does it cost in your are to learn to play? Please list the location and cost as above...feel free to express cost in local currency. Believe it or not some of us can figure it out....

Reaction score
I transitioned from guitar to keyboard a few years ago and took lessons for a couple of months to help get going with the right technique.

Costs you quote were typical of what I experienced.

Reaction score
$89.00 per month for 30 minute lessons.
$109 per month if taught by an instructor with a graduate degree.
That's Lexington, South Carolina

Reaction score
It does sound confusing.
I read it as 1/2 hour lessons, once a week for $89.00 per month.
They further stated that they will give a 1/2 hour lesson for $25.00 which they will do twice.
Checked another site in that area and they show:
$120 per month for 30 minute lessons, one 1/2 hour lesson per week.
They will give a single 1/2 hour lesson, one time only for $40.00.
I guess whatever the traffic will bear.
March...

Reaction score
That sounds like good value to me I suppose these are private lessons as I don't think 1/2 hour is enough for a group.

Reaction score
https://www.lexingtonschoolofmusic.com/
Appears that most are private lessons.
Surprised to find that some are using what appears to be digital keyboards.
Also one claims to have only a month to month arrangement. No contracts.
Also offer online lessons. Hmmm..Wonder how that works.
I seem to be developing an unhealthy curiosity with regard to lessons. Due perhaps, with regard to participating in this thread. :rolleyes:
Me, who is sworn to self teaching.
Even ordered a book.

Reaction score
Watch out you are going to turn pro on us. Nothing wrong with lessons. If nothing else you avoid locking in bad habits, learn to play faster and have someone to answer all those "Why" questions. Good luck.

Years ago I met one of my guitar heros at a jazz festival. At the time I was taking lessons from an old friend of his. When I told him I was still learning he smiled and said we are all still learning....and added...I'm looking forward to seeing Lee Ritenour today to see what I can learn from him.

Reaction score
Yeah, lessons...
That can't happen. I recently purchased my first keyboard.
My credit card is going to take a few months to recover.
So, I have a couple of beginner books coming in the mail.
Probably a good thing...
Every time I took guitar lessons, (in my distant past) I fell in lust with the teacher.

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Universe of Keys course online by Canadian musician Mike Little, you can see samples on you tube and facebook. Great guy who managed to break down the mysteries of music into absorbable bits, very inexpensive and totally worth it!

Reaction score
I last took lessons in 2013. The cost was $225 for six 45 minute lessons, which came to $50/hr. The teacher came to my home, up the road from you in San Luis Obispo, California.

Den

Reaction score
I teach for free! It is the joy of seeing and hearing the progress of people that is the payment.
This girl came to me with a 15 note kbd from Kmart. She wanted to learn kbd. I sat her at my Tyros4 and gave her 45 minutes instructions then sent her away with the sheet music, This was the result on Monday afternoon. (Not on her $49 kbd note!)

Learn the sound of the notes and practice. I only deal with instruments that have fixed sounds, ie piano, kbd, organ etc. Saxophone clarinet and the like are too much out of my realm. Guitar, Violin and the like needs the student to have very keen hearing to get the correct note. If you are very new to the kbd then you may need someone to start you off in the correct direction. After that it is YOUR music that you play. I play first rate Dennis music, even if it is awful, rather than second rate James Last or whatever.
Well that's my take on it.
Regards, Dennis.

Last edited:

Ask a Question