Covering all those studio sounds live...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I play in a cover/corporate function/wedding band and I'm constantly faced with deciding whether to try to cover every line I can hear on the recording (using multiple splits & layers) or to keep it simple and just use one or 2 patches (or perhaps one split) and not attempt to cover absolutely everything I hear but just try to capture the essence of the song/sound, if that makes sense.

What does everyone else do in this situation?

I'm used to attempting to cover everything (and in the right situation that's fine) but I know not all keys players do that so I'm looking for hints/suggestions on how I might make things simpler.

I only use one synth live, a Roland Fantom X6.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hey Kingy,

I play in a couple of covers bands too and am constantly confronted with this issue.

For me it's a case of taking each situation on it's own merit.

As an example we do Rebel Yell and I have set up six different patches which are layered together over a couple of different keyboard splits to get it as close as possible to the record. I think this is important because the keys/synth sounds are quite prominent in the song and add to its signature sound.

However we also do the Springsteen version of Because The Night which has organ and piano in it. I'm not a good enough player to do both parts justice so I stick with piano. The song still sounds good and nice and full with two guitarists.

So in summary my theory is as long as what you play is reminiscent of what your audience will know and enjoy you should be right.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Yep. Having so many lines and not enough hands or keyboards to cover them all is my biggest musical frustration. Sometimes I assess whether the organ or the piano line is more prominent in a verse or a chorus, and I frequently flip between the two sounds.

Splitting the keyboard works, or switching between patches in the middle of a song works too, but neither are perfect. Two keyboards is the best, but then that entails carrying everything, including my amp. Ugh.

What I would really like is a second keyboardist!

Ask a Question