CP-4 issue

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with CP-4? I have a MX-88 to replace my very tired S-90-ES. The MX-88 is impossible to use in live performance. I have to scroll to every change,sound, layer ect. How does the CP-4 call up sounds quickly. Presets ?
I hope its not another scroll with a wheel.

Reaction score
I'm not, other than I understand they're very good stage pianos. Never been lucky enough to play one.

However, have a flick through here - should tell you what you need to know about how to operate it.

https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/1095068/cp4cp40_stage_en_om_b0.pdf

I'm a bit short of time at the minute, but I took a cursory glance at the above and it does look like there's some kind of "favourites" (or the Yamaha equivalent) type set up.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You should get what you want-- whether that's a CP-4 or something else-- but if you "have to scroll to every change,sound, layer ect." when playing your MX88 live, then it sounds like you probably are not using any of the MX-88's Performance memories. See the section of the Reference Manual beginning on page 40 for more information. You can set up and save as many as 128 Performance memories, where each Performance is a complete setup of the MX88, equivalent to what would be called a Registration on many keyboards.

Although you can select and recall a saved Performance using the panel controls, if you happen to have the MX88 connected to a tablet with an appropriate app, or if you've got the MX88 connected to other equipment via MIDI cables, you can also choose a Performance simply by sending the necessary Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change messages. For instance, if you have a sheet music app that can send patch changes to your keyboard(s) when a song is displayed in the app, then you won't even have to select the desired Performance from the panel of the MX88, because you can have the app automatically recall it for you. The Bank Select and Program Change values for recalling the Performances are as follows:

Performance 1 = Bank Select MSB 63, LSB 80, Program Change 0
Performance 2 = Bank Select MSB 63, LSB 80, Program Change 1
Performance 3 = Bank Select MSB 63, LSB 80, Program Change 2
etc.
Performance 128 = Bank Select MSB 63, LSB 80, Program Change 127

Note that although the 128 Performance memories contain predefined Performance setups, you can override them with your own setups. And if you decide later that you want to restore the factory default Performance setups, you can do that as well.

Ask a Question