CP300 Question

Reaction score
Could be a stretch, but maybe someone here knows, because the manual isn't giving me a clear answer...

I've been using a CP300 at my church for a year now and really am happy with the pianos sounds. The pad sounds, however, not so much.

So, my workaround is to bring another keyboard (S90EX) with better pads and MIDI them together. I can use the secondary keyboard for synths sounds by itself and then set the pad patch and layer that over the piano.

What I would really, really like to do is use slider 2 to control MIDI CC#7 to adjust the volume of the keyboard. Right now I can only use slider 1 which also adjusts the volume of the piano part. It's a bummer having to reach up to manually move the volume slider on my other keyboard, as it's a bit of a stretch. I'm thinking maybe with a layer, but I'm not sure how to set it up, and there's nothing in the manual (that I've found) that speaks to using layers for MIDI control.

Thanks, Rob

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
When you say S90EX, do you mean S90ES? I can't find anything on Yamaha's website about an S90EX, just S90, S90ES, and S90XS.

It sounds like you're wanting to use the CP300's keys to play the S90's sounds, rather than playing the S90's keys directly-- i.e., when you play on the CP300 it will play a sound from the CP300 and simultaneously play a different sound from the S90, effectively layered with the CP300's sound. Is that correct?

Based on what little the CP300's manual says, it sounds like you might be able to do what you want-- but as you say, it isn't very clear. In particular, I don't know whether you can use the CP300 as a master controller while simultaneously playing its own sounds.

If it turns out that you can't play Zone 1 (Main) locally while simultaneously sending Zone 3 (Layer) to the S90, you might be able to use the CP300 as a Master controller to control the S90 on one channel/zone while also controlling the CP300 on another channel/zone as though it were an external instrument as well, as follows:

(1) Connect the CP300's MIDI OUT to the S90's MIDI IN.

(2) Connect the S90's MIDI THRU to the CP300's MIDI IN.

(3) Turn off the CP300's local control, so it doesn't make any sounds when you play it.

(4) Set the CP300 to Master mode.

(5) Set the CP300's MIDI Receive Channel to Channel 1 (Zone 1's default channel) and assign it to control the Main part.

(6) Set the S90's MIDI Receive Channel to Channel 3 (Zone 3's default channel) and-- if necessary-- assign it to control the desired Performance part. (I'm not clear on how that works on the S90, since I haven't looked at its manual in detail.)

I think that should work, but you'll have to try it and see. :)

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right - ES. What you're describing sounds like a reasonable workaround. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! :) And yeah, sometimes my crazy ideas turn out to be workable. :D

Ask a Question