CP88/CP73 Touch sensitivity controls

Reaction score
Hi, first post, but I haven't seen anyone else discussing this:

I currently play an EW400 and one of the things that I can't do with it is independently control the touch sensitivity of the main and dual voices - for example I'd like a piano main voice that has touch sensitivity, but a second voice that is a pad or strings with fixed sensitivity. Given the price point of the EW400, maybe this is to be expected. I'm pretty much resigned to having to use connect a DAW via MIDI to do this.

I'm thinking of upgrading to something like a CP73, going up in price range a bit, but I was wondering if the ouch sensitivity can be independently controlled between the Piano/E.Piano/Sub sections - so many other settings such as all the insert effects can be controlled that way, but I'm not sure about the touch sensitivity. Has anyone else tried this?

Reaction score
Welcome.

Have you checked what the manual has to say? One of the members has the same keyboard and no doubt he will be able to give you specific advice.

Regarding upgrading, at the price point of the CP73 there are a host of digital pianos available so please do some more research as models by Roland, Kawaii, Korg, Dexibel, Nord and Kurzweil all have better reviews.

Reaction score
The manual is rather vague about this (and some other things). On page 29 under the touch curve settings are just under the "general" heading, so I get the feeling it's fixed for all the engines at once, rather than separate as I'd like. Interestingly, just above the touch curve information on page 29 is a section about octave setting that implies the range is -3 to +3, but on page 14, referencing "button 22" it just describes [-2 -1]/[+1 +2] buttons to "change the octave range"... I'm guessing an extra press lights both +1 and +2 to indicate +3? It doesn't actually say. It looks like the manual assumes you already know how it works, which isn't useful when you haven't got a keyboard to play with.

I hear what you're saying about the competition at the price point, but I have checked all the reviews, and I really do like the look and sound of the CP73. A number of people don't like the key bed, but that's not too much of an issue to me coming up from really cheap and nasty keys on the EW400 (they really are awful - one of the Bb keys was showing signs of wear from my finger nails after just 12 months of use - none of my other keyboards have ever had that). A big selling point for the CP73 for me is the weight, or lack thereof, and as far as I can tell nothing else comes close. Also, I know an 88 key keyboard won't fit on the back seat of my car, and that's essential for how I use my instruments, so I'm not even looking at 88 key models. It seems to be the right instrument for me, but there are one or two things that I've stumbled across from being an EW400 user that I would like to directly compare with the CP73 - the touch sensitivity was one of them. One thing I do like about the CP73 that works better than the EW400 is being able to see which live setting or preset you're using. On the EW400 the display tells you which bank is selected, but not which setting - there are no lights in the buttons - you simply have to remember what you pressed, and that's really annoying.

One thing that is confusing me is why does the EW400 have 76 keys rather than 73? Or why is it the CP73 not a CP76 that goes up to a G at the top? I guess there are no standards for what happens between 61 and 88 key instruments?

Reaction score
It is the users who report keybed issues with their CP’s that caused me to raise the question with you. It would cause me to strike it off my list immediately.

Do also check out the brand new Korg SV2 73, there is not a better looking DP out there and it is within your budget.

Reaction score
Out of interest, what keybed issues are users reporting? I've not see anything outside of the reviews, and most of the reviewers simply prefer the feel of the CP88. I don't play acoustic piano (I never had, and I guess I might be a little strange in that regard), so as long as the keys aren't completely horrible, or the bed develops faults, the way it feels is not that important.

Reaction score
The CP88/CP33 are both stage pianos with a limited number of sounds and less flexibility that the workstation/synthesizer models. I'm not familiar with any keybed issues with those particular units, but given their specific design function is stage piano I doubt you would be happy with the stage piano in the longer term . Right now you can get good deals on used Yamaha MOXF6 (61 keys, non-weighted) or MOXF88 (88 graded weighted keys) and have 1100+ sounds., and probably cheaper than the CP88/73. I suggest that you visit some dealers to get familiar with what is available and put hands on different models. Good Luck ! Don aka B3

Reaction score
Your EW is typical of many keyboards, a light action with adjustable features of the keybed.

At the price point of the EW which let us accept is at the low end of the keyboard price range then to expect more than you are experiencing is probably asking a bit to much.

A more expensive arranger type keyboard can enable provide the level of adjustment and hence response of the different voices and the after touch feature can add the nuances that you seek. The downside is that many arrangers only have 61 keys.

As Don suggests a synth / workstation may well be more versatile for your use, checkout:-

Yamaha MOXF7
Yamaha MODX7
Roland FA 07
Roland Juno DS 76
Korg Krome 73

A hands on play of as many keyboards within your budget will no doubt be beneficial.

Ask a Question