CTK-3200 Power Problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a AV technician at a school in Scotland.

We have a music room with 20 CTK-3200's. Recently we have an issue with about 7 of them. They will not power on when the AC Adaptor is plugged in, but will power on OK with Batteries.

Has anyone else seen this problem and is there a simple solution to it?

I assume it's something to do with the AC adaptor socket on the PCB and can replace them OK. I'm curious if there might be another solution though.

Thanks in advance for your help

squircle

Reaction score
If you move an AC adapter, from a non-working unit, to a working unit, does that working unit now no longer work? If so, then that particular AC adapter is bad, or if a known good adapter is connected to a non-working keyboard, and it still does not work, then that keyboard is bad. My point is, if the problem is isolated to the adapters, and not to the keyboards, then I would look into how the adapters and their cords are being treated. Wrapping the cords around the adapter body is the number one killer (internal breakage) of adapter cords. It has the effect, over time, of bending a wire back and forth, back and forth, until it finally breaks, but the break is inside the insulation, and is not visible. Many laptop computer power cords suffer the same fate.

If the problem is isolated to the keyboards, here again, I would first investigate how the adapter/keyboard connections are being treated. Are the cords being tripped over, or being pulled from the keyboard by the cord and not by the connector, and damaging the power input jack on the keyboard. I am a member of several forums that handle Casio questions (one is Casio exclusively). This type of question arises occasionally, but pretty much across the board as far as different models are concerned. I have not seen a rise recently in reports of this type, across the board, or for any particular model (eg. the CTK-3200).

If the problem does appear to be isolated to the power input jack, and these are all recently purchased units on a bulk purchase, then there is a chance that some of them have power input jacks contaminated with residual production greases, oils, dusts, etc. You could try gently cleaning the power input jacks with cotton swabs moistened with rubbing alcohol. Strangely, I HAVE seen a rise in this recently with Line Out audio jacks and headphone jacks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To have the problem with so many at the same time indicates a more serious problem.

A transient in the supply could have fried the power supplies if they were all connected and powered even if the keyboard was switched off.

Or one of the kids has been sabotaging the systems.

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies guys.

I am 100% confident that the AC Adaptors are all OK. I moved the keyboards from the classroom to my room to test with my known good AC Adaptor. Also the keyboards are stored separately from the AC adaptors (which are left secured to a power outlet), so when in use the keyboard is never with the same AC Adaptor.

I'm sure the power input jack is the problem. It might have been a power surge (the building is old!). It is probably due to the power jack being plug in and out several times a day by less than gentle kids.

If i need to acquire a number of AC Adaptor Sockets to solder to the board, where is the best place to get them? Do I have to get them from Casio or can i find them at CPC or RS?

Reaction score
I would open up one of the keyboards to check on the physics of the socket before I ordered anything as there is a sizeable quantity of options.

CPC or RS, are great sources for components here in the UK, as it is CPC are five minutes away from me so if I want anything I order online and go there to pick up.

You may also wish to ensure that the power supply to the keyboard has surge arrestors/conditioners in the circuit. A good quality multi gang extension as made by Masterplug, Belkin, Pro Elec etc will provide protection against transients.

Reaction score
Hi All

Yesterday my ctk3200 was working fine but today no sound coming from keyboard. Power is on via adapter, display is ok and seems like everything is fine as it shows on the display but suddenly no sound.
Any suggestions ple

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check to make sure MIDI LOCAL is set to ON.

If you can't find it do a system reset.

Also check if there's a plug in the headphone socket.

Ask a Question