CTK-7200 or PSR-E443?

Reaction score
Sorry, it's yet another 'what keyboard should I buy' question. :oops:

I'm a total beginner, 40-ish, no musical experience at all - and out of the blue have decided to learn keyboards. Just for my own amusement, no recording, performing. So I'm after something cheap in case things don't work out, a budget of maybe £300.

I'm into jazz-funk so I'd like something with passable Clavinet, Rhodes, Hammond sounds.

I'm going to self teach - online, DVDs, not 100% sure how exactly at the moment.

I've narrowed my choice to the Casio CTK-7200 or the Yamaha PSR-E443.

The Casio seems like you get more stuff for your money, especially the drawbars, and sounds good. The Yamaha's advantage seems to be the Education Suite. Is the Education Suite worth the compromise? I'll definitely need a right-to-the-very-basics course. I've no particular problem learning the aimed at kids tunes that it looks like the Education Suite covers - but if I'll cover the same skills anyway with a DVD then there's no real value in it.

What would you suggest?

Thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't make your decision for you but I will point out that Yamaha keyboards won't connect to Linux computers. Yamaha doesn't use USB MIDI class compliant interfaces.

On the other hand, if you are strictly a Windows/Apple guy then the choices are pretty much equal. What you'll have to do is go to a music store and listen to both in person to see which one feels and sounds the best to you.

No one else can make that decision.

Also to complicate things further, take a look at the Casio WK-7600 or WK-7500 (Same as the CTK with 76 instead of 61 keys).

And while yer at it the XW-P1 is also worth a looksee.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I own a PSR-E443 (as well as the earlier E433), but I've been tempted to get a CTK-7200 for the drawbar sliders! The earlier 7000 also has drawbar sliders but they have fewer setting levels-- 0-3 as opposed to 0-8.

You're right about the features-- the CTK has pretty much the same features as the PSR (except for "DJ patterns" and "live control" knobs), plus some features the PSR doesn't have. A basic rundown follows:

Both let you modify the preset sounds and save them for later recall, but there are differences. The PSR lets you change the resonance, which the CTK doesn't have, but the CTK has more effects than the PSR. The CTK lets you save and name 100 user tones, but the PSR doesn't let you save the modified voices per se. The PSR does let you save 32 registrations for later recall-- which includes the currently-selected voices and any modifications to them, plus other settings like the currently-selected style, tempo, reverb type, etc.-- whereas the CTK lets you save 96 registrations.

Both let you load new auto-accompaniment files, but the CTK lets you create your own auto-accompaniments on the keyboard, which the PSR doesn't do.

Both let you record songs, but the CTK lets you edit the song on a note-by-note basis.

Both have pitch bend wheels, but the CTK has a modulation control, which the PSR doesn't have.

And as already stated, the CTK has those sliders for modifying its drawbar organ tones, which the PSR doesn't have.

You'll need to decide for yourself, but I imagine you'll want to focus on four areas: (1) price, (2) features, (3) sound, and (4) feel. Each of these may have varying degrees of importance for you-- e.g., the PSR is (IIRC) about $100 less than the CTK, and that might be the deciding factor for some people; but for other people the deciding factor might be the "realism" of the sounds, or the way the keys feel and respond when playing, or the numbers and types of features.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, a lot of first time buyers, (myself included once) make the same mistake of buying their first keyboard brand new.

Basically if you have a $400 to $500 budget, take a look at your local craigslist and ebay and see what's going used around that price.

With a little careful shopping it's easy to pick up some 5 year old professional gear that sold for $1000 for that money.

If you're afraid to test them on your own bring along a musical friend to help check things out.

A few simple rules for buying used.

1) Don't buy anything older than 6 or 7 years old

2) Don't buy anything that was used for a touring band. Look around for the one that sat in a home studio or living room for years untouched by the child prodigy who sneered at his father's "bourgeois piano lessons."

3) Make certain every knob, dial, button, switch, key and jack is functional.

4) Pick it up and gently shake it and listen if anything rattles inside.

If it passes all these tests and sells for 50% to 60% of list price you've got a winner!!!

You could also score some cheap accessories like pedals and stands for an extra $20~! :)

Just because you're having a mid life crisis doesn't mean you have to be foolish with your money :D

Gary

PS.

Personally I prefer craigslist to ebay cause you can go and physically check out the merchandise before you pay. If you're worried about being murdered tell your wife where you're going, write down their phone number and bring a friend :D :D :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hell, if your apartment or house has the room, look around on craigslist for FREE pianos!!! People will give them away just to get them out of the house. For the cost of a professional move and tuning you can get a beautiful upright for a few hundred bucks. ;)

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for everybody's replies :)

After a bit more googling, I've learned that the Yamaha education suite doesn't really teach you how to play - it teaches you how to play a very specific list of songs, and nothing more. So I've discounted that, and will go for the Casio.

Turning to some of the other points people have raised

WK-7600 or WK-7500 - space is a bit tight, so I'll stick with 61 keys for now. If it turns out that I can actually play the thing then I'll probably end up completely reorganising the flat to make more space and buy a good quality 88 key digital piano to go with the 7200.

XW-P1 - interesting, but by all accounts its not that easy for beginners to get into, and I'm a bit meh about synth sounds, so I'll stick with the 7200

New/used - definitely want new. I just don't really do used :)

So, thank you everyone, you've helped me make my decision, I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community. :D

Ask a Question