Cubase 5 starts Crackling

Reaction score
Cubase 5 starts Crackling after a short while when playing Instruments.
What can I do to have clear sound again other than restarting the program?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You mean virtual instruments? Maybe try fiddling with the sample rate, buffer size, etc. until you find settings that don't result in crackling.

Reaction score
I change dthe sample rate and buffer size... And then the crackling vanishes until after some time it comes back :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Crackling is usually a hardware problem not a software one.

Typically a loose or dodgy connector to the sound card or an internal resistance.

Does it also crackle when you play an ordinary MP3 or communicate with a mic?

A lot of motherboard sound cards have noise problems due to low quality parts.

Gary

Reaction score
why should it be the hardware!? I never have problems with my motherboard. All music is fine. Only Cubase...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe your levels are too high. Maybe you just have a crappy soundcard. Have you tried with a different soundcard or computer?

Gary

Reaction score
I don't think so. My motherboard is high-end and I have a xonar sound card as well. But had the same problems.

Reaction score
I tried with
Xonar DX sound card

same problems

I could try again, but the thing is my soundcard blocks my graphic card fan. So that's why I put it out of my computer.

Reaction score
I change dthe sample rate and buffer size... And then the crackling vanishes until after some time it comes back :(

Based on that, my guess is that Cubase has a memory leak. If you're running their latest version, I'd report this as a bug.

//Scott

Reaction score
I'm just starting with music-making, so can't comment on anything music-specific, but one thing to check for is a low resource condition in your computer. When I'm playing around in a DAW, I have to disable network connection and unneeded background apps (virus detection, utilities, etc) to give the DAW "room to work". Just a quick thought...

Reaction score
I'm just starting with music-making, so can't comment on anything music-specific, but one thing to check for is a low resource condition in your computer. When I'm playing around in a DAW, I have to disable network connection and unneeded background apps (virus detection, utilities, etc) to give the DAW "room to work". Just a quick thought...
Another excellent point by JDGiants....anything that steals resources from the music software is a Very Bad Thing. Especially anitvirus software, which depending on product and configuration, tries to front-end every i/o the machine executes.

Reaction score

I'm studying engineering now, what is going on is most likely what is called Jittering, Jittering happens when say any type of Waveform is not reading how it should like the 010101 are being read 101010 as you can see it doesn't match the first Wave file.. You can go to www. digido.com or www. focalpress.com to get a better understanding of Jitters... First thing to Check is if the Wordclock is on the DAW system, also if you have any external digital compressors and etc running into the the DAW system make sure those Wordclocks are on also if not then it cant Synchronize to the DAW system... this Mostly Happen when converting Analog to Digital, But Digital to Digital it can happen also, A low jitter will still work but you can still record with out the clicking being real loud, high jitters will cause clicks in the wave file.. Look first for your wordclock then from there you can see if its the Wave file not reading right ...all DAW's have Wordclocks.. Also You can have latency problems in the system were the digital plug in is slower then what it should be when recording or simply the plug in is bad or to much for the system to handle all at once while running other plug ins . but this really doesn't sound like latency problems..

Reaction score

What do you mean by crackling (like a loose speaker connection)? Surely any delays to the signal output will be experienced by missing sounds not "new" ones bit like a downloaded and playing video which pauses mid stream.

Reaction score
Alright, I tried it with my Xonar DX again. Crackling is gone.
thanks for help!
I noticed a new delay. Latency was at 80ms.
With 2ms latency I get crackling with this card. At 10ms it runs well.

Ask a Question