Damper Pedal Polarity Switch

Reaction score
Can you mod a Damper pedal like the M-Audio SP-2 to have a footswitch on top that reverses the polarity instead of having the slider switch on the bottom.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd imagine it's possible, though there would be a fair bit of drilling and rewiring and soldering involved.

If I were to do it, I'd install a SPDT pushbutton switch on the housing above and in front of the actual pedal, assuming the pedal switch design would allow for enough room.

Why, if I might ask, would you consider this to be a necessary mod?

Reaction score
I'd imagine it's possible, though there would be a fair bit of drilling and rewiring and soldering involved.

If I were to do it, I'd install a SPDT pushbutton switch on the housing above and in front of the actual pedal, assuming the pedal switch design would allow for enough room.

Why, if I might ask, would you consider this to be a necessary mod?
I have a client that is a professional and uses his keyboard for multiple sounds and uses more than one board. somtimes he needs to set a sound and use another board without holding the pedal down. This mod will do that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well, my advice is to get an SP-2 and take one apart. I don't have the guts or inclination to take mine apart while it's working fine for me. :)

Anyway, if you take a look at the guts you'll quickly find out if it's doable or not. Essentially it requires drilling a hole if there's room to wire a compatible pushbutton replacement for the bottom slide switch in from the top of the housing.

Without actually cracking one open I couldn't tell you if it's doable or not.

Otherwise you could do a rube goldberg arrangement mounting the pedal on a small slab of half inch plywood, and mounting the external switch beside it on the slab.

It wouldn't be pretty but it would surely work that way as a last resort.

Ask a Question