Daw and midi keyboard connection

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've got extremly Basic question. I'm connecting my midi input in interface with keyboard midi output . Everything is clear, i play some notes so keyboard is sending midi information to interface and then daw. Next, i am connecting interface midi output to keyboard midi input. I do know that daw is sending some information to midi keyboard, but what kind of information? It's hard to say but i really don't get it. Does connection "interface midi output to keyboard midi input" is a must when we want controll daw with keyboard additional faders and play/ stop/ rewind button ( on keyboard)?

Reaction score
To control the DAW *from* your keyboard, the only MIDI jack you need to connect to on your keyboard is OUT, because data is going OUT of the keyboard to the DAW (it doesn't matter what KIND of data it is--notes, faders, buttons--all that matters is the DIRECTION, i.e. that the data is going OUT from the keyboard into the computer). You would need to connect the IN if you want to, for example, have the DAW trigger notes or change patches on the keyboard, because then data would need to go OUT of the computer and IN to the keyboard.

Ask a Question