Dead “E” Keys on P-95

Reaction score
The three highest E keys on my daughters P-95 are dead. I’ve cleaned the rubber pads and the surfaces on the PCB.

Given the pattern of the three highest E keys I’m thinking these keys share a ground or some electrical component that has failed.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Eric

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's probably a faulty connector or solder joint between the keyswitches and the multiplexer or the CPU.

If you own an oscilloscope or a logic probe you could try tracing the signals on adjacent lines then the faulty ones back to the CPU and find the point where contact breaks while paying close attention to visual cues like cracked or cold solder joints along the way.

It's a tedious job without a schematic. Do a google search for a manual or schematic if you can find one. Otherwise you're the detective and the clues are few and far between.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There was a recent poster on another forum who was having a similar problem on their Yamaha DGX keyboard-- a specific key of the scale not working in the various octaves-- and they were able to resolve the issue by opening up their keyboard and giving the inside a thorough cleaning to remove dust that had accumulated (IIRC) on the circuit board. Given that their DGX was an 88-key model, I figure they might not have had it covered up with a dust cover. If that sounds similar to your situation, you might see if that solution works for you-- and invest in a good dust cover to prevent a recurrence in the future. :)

Ask a Question