December newb...

Reaction score
After decades of playing guitar, I'm setting them back in the rack to learn to play keys. Looking forward to the adventure ahead in 2021.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Good for you Jack.
What model keys do you have or intend to acquire?
There are many people here done the same as you . . Ex guitarists. You are in good company here.
Cheers Ray

Reaction score
Ray. After weeks of research reading and watching hours of reviews I narrowed my search down to two boards and ultimately choose the Roland Juno DS76. I wanted something that would take me from today to years from now when I am ready to play out on my own or with a group.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Bonjour Jaques de Caanada...

Do you live in Tahiti or was it just wishful thinking when you chose your alias? :D

The Juno DS is a great board for a serious amateur or intermediate player.

You will get thousands of happy hours exploring the features and hammering out tunes.

Anyway you'll eventually see that you were lucky to bypass the consumer grade starter boards and start out with a nice, pro, player's board. Any particular reason that you did not choose the 88 instead of the 76?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary
Long story on my name. My wife gave me that nickname in 1988 during our first visit to Tahiti. We returned every year for a few weeks. Sadly we stopped a few years ago as friends there began passing away. We planned a visit recently but a friend advised against it as it had changed and not in a good way.

I chose the DS76 as a happy middle between the 61 and 88 and the space i have in my office music and listening room. The 88 also was a bit heavier. I am also one of those that think its better buying one $$$$ keyboard over buying several $$ keyboards over time.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Tahiti is still on my bucket list. Hopefully I'll end up there some day spending the last years of my life like Paul Gaughin. :D

Dying in the arms of my trophy wife/nurse :D :D :D

Personally I opted for the 88 key option. After years of twiddling around with synth action workstations I picked up my first hammer action keyboard and I have to say that I never looked back. There is something visceral about striking a weighted key that simply doesn't translate when it's a synth action keyboard. It's a very satisfying sensation :)

Somehow, even with velocity sensitive keys, synth action boards simply make me feel more like a button pusher than a musician.

As for the extra weight? My keyboards don't travel. Instead I've built up a fairly decent little home studio where I do all my playing. Besides, a heavy keyboard doesn't bounce around on a z stand when you're going at it loud and heavy. A synth action board can get away from you if your playing becomes too passionate :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question