Decision Making Help PLEASE!

Reaction score
I'm totally new to keyboards, pianos, etc. and I was hoping to get something to start with that isn't too expensive. I'm planning on putting a lot of time into learning everything I can once I finally get a keyboard, so I'd need something that is great for beginners but will also last me a long time. One of the biggest priorities for me would be getting something that can play just about any type of song or sound i want, if that's at all possible :(, through programs that i can use with the keyboard or w/e. I'd love to learn how to play a keyboard, but if getting better or more sounds would mean getting something like a Microkorg, I'd much rather do that since the sound I get is what matters most to me. Here's what I'm looking at right now, any suggestions or opinions would be great, whether that be which one to choose or what might be better around the same price. THANKS

Keyboard:
Buy Yamaha DGX230MS 76-Key Portable Grand Piano | Home Digital Pianos | Musician's Friend

Microkorg:
Buy Korg microKORG Synthesizer/Vocoder | Keyboard Synthesizers | Musician's Friend

Reaction score
Which keyboard is best for you depends on the kind of music you want to play, and on the kinds of sounds that are most important to you.

Head to YouTube and search for piano and keyboard versions of your favorite songs. (Enter the name of the song and "piano" or "keyboard" in YT's search box.) That will give you an idea of how many keys you'll need.

If you have a music store reasonably close to you, make a trip and get your hands on keyboards and their sounds in your ears.

I bring these points up because of the two choices you have listed, they are generally aimed at two different kinds of musicians.

Reaction score
I want to learn how to play parts of songs from bands like Pendulum and Crystal Castles- unique sounds... as I kind of said earlier, I'm looking for sound accuracy more than anything. If I can't get a sound very close in similarity to the parts of songs I want to play, I wont enjoy playing at all. Even though I'd love to learn how to play a 61-88 key keyboard, getting an extremely wide variety of sounds is what i want most.

Reaction score
To best match a particular band's sound, you'll have to find out what keyboards they play.

For the fun of it I tried digging up photos, etc. of Pendulum and Crystal Castles. I know lighting effects are part of a band's experience, but would a little more light on the keyboards be that difficult? Even so, with a bit of image manipulation I was able to learn that Pendulum's largest keyboard is a CME, though I think the particular model might just be a controller. I couldn't massage the photos enough to see brand/model names well enough on any of the others.

Reaction score
Finding what pleases you and truely meets your needs is something
you will have to figure out for youeself. Regardlesss of any input from the forum members, it's ultimately what you like and want that matters.
I second the suggestion for Youtube research, and also suggest you get out
and visit the music stores to hear and feel what's available.
B3

Ask a Question