Demise of the Korg PS60

Reaction score
Hi All,

All my life I have been playing Yamaha and Roland, and in 2011.... I was enticed by the Korg video advertising their PS60 performance synth.... doing some research, I found it had good reviews.... so I bought one, BIG MISTAKE.

From the time it arrived, it had some intermittent problem where, it would freeze on bootup with a row of blocks in the display.... and I SHOULD have sent it back immediately.... however the problem only occurred once in a while, and simply turning it off and back on solved it.... so I kept it (I live in the Caribbean and it would have cost quite a bit in shipping and time to send it back).

Within six months the problem had become permanent and I sought for repair..... Korg service told me I would have to get it back to the USA and the problem might not be covered by the warranty since it was a USA warranty only (I bought it from an Amazon partner).

I just put it out of my sight and left it there.... and did nothing....

Now approx. 4 years later, Korg does not even make that model anymore.... it has been discontinued..... either they were not selling or they were all coming back defective..... why else would Korg discontinue a keyboard so soon ?

Look at Roland and Yamaha..... they are still making various models that were first released back in 2009 .... ..... this has left a bitter taste in my mouth for Korg..... and I will never buy a Korg product again.

I own vintage equipment by both Roland and Yamaha that is over 34 years old..... and still working perfectly.

Yamaha DX27 and QX5.... Roland D110..... beautiful quality engineering....

I just went modern and purchased..... Roland AX synth, FA-06 and VR-09..... all great boards and I recommend them to all.

Stephen Mendes

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I used to own a Korg TR76 and a Microkorg XL.

Both worked flawlessly for me for about 7 or 8 years until I sold them off to upgrade.

It's just not fair to dis a manufacturer based on a single product experience.

Right now I'm in the process of negotiating for a Korg X50 cause I miss my Korg sounds.

Yamaha on the other hand, I have a problem with simply because they absolutely HATE Linux and refuse to build USB MIDI Class compliant machines, locking you into either Windows or Apple. I shall NEVER own a Yamaha product.

As for Roland, I've never owned one simply because until recently they never posted retail prices for their boards. It was always a big mystery to be "negotiated" between the dealer and the buyer.

Also, from what I've seen from their user and service manuals, Rolands are the only machines that don't store their factory soundset in ROM and when the battery fails or you need to do a factory reset you have to reload the sounds from a disk that may or may not exist and you have to order it from the factory.

As far as I'm concerned Roland missed the boat for ever having me as a customer.

I currently own Kurzweil, Casio, M-Audio, Alesis and Waldorf equipment and NONE of them display any of these problems.

I'll stick with the people who support Linux and open source hardware thanks :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I wonder if it's an isolated issue. I have a Korg PS60 and have had no problems with it.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses..... it's not that I dislike Korg.... they simply do not have dealer or support for my country (Barbados).... therefore I rolled the dice by buying the PS60 ... and lost... that's all.

Roland has a local dealer.... and they do good business with most of the product line..... I should have simply bought another Roland keyboard.... I learned a lesson the hard way... and will not make such a mistake again.

Ask a Question