Descent Horn sounds

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I can't shake this, I owned a Yamaha S90XS and it had wicked cool horns that were very realistic sounding. Of course, I'm and old fat guy and it was pretty heavy to carry to gigs. So I sold it and bought a Yamaha P115 stage piano (12 pounds with great acoustic and electric pianos) and a Roland V-Combo. Although the V-Combo is just short of a real Hammond B-3 with draw bars and all, the horns stink.
So, the question is, does anyone know of a synth with descent horns?

Thanks for reading and replying.

Ack

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. I am using a Yamaha MOXF6 (weights 15 lbs) for my secondary board, ( covering some Rhodes sounds, strings, and horns) and it does a very good job. I used the Yamaha brass and reed internal sounds to make some nice fat performance combinations. I also have installed a memory expansion card and loaded the Phoenix Brass samples from Keyboardwaves.com. Those are some very good horns too. I got a used MOXF6 with a case for under $500 and it looks and plays like it's new. Now's a great time to get a deal on any keyboard. Good luck! Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
The Korg Kross 2 that I had was pretty good with all instrument sounds which were all very customisable.

Small overall size and only 8 lbs in weight for the 61 key version

Music Bird

Foreign Music Genres Nerd
Reaction score
MX49 by Yamaha or MX61 would be good. They have the same soundset as the S90XS but are much lighter. I use one of the brass sounds from my MX49 in one song (Uptown Funk) and it sounds good.

Reaction score
I would offer a point to consider about the Yamaha lines. - Last summer I had the opportunity to audition the MX series against the new MODX and the older MOXF keys. Sound quality of the MODX was great, MOXF a close second, and MX sound quality was not in the same class with the first two. I had thought about buying a MX88, but changed my mind and I bought a used MOXF for much less then a MX series new . B3

Reaction score
MX49 does not have the full S90XS sound set (it has only 166 mb of samples compared to the 355 mb Motif XS sound set; the S90XS has the Motif XS sound set plus about 100 mb more for its additional piano sounds). And the sounds it does have are not all identical, because it supports fewer simultaneous effects. The least expensive current model which includes the full XS sound set (and more) is the MODX. Used, you could look at its predecessor MOXF, or the predecessor to that, MOX. They would all have the horns and other (non-piano) voices of the S90XS.

Ask a Question